Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Trouble with Stand-Alone Executable files

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2010 08:46
Hey, thanks for reading even if you feel like you have no idea what I'm trying to say!

When I had Dark Basic Classic, I used to put standalone executable files on CDs and give them to my friends with a corny label on the front. Anyway, I got Dark Basic Pro fairly recently, and I'm trying to do the same thing with it, but I'm a little over my head.

In DB Classic I would press F7 and it would write the standalone exe for me. In DBpro I thought I had figured out how to do the same thing under "Properties" and the "Media" tab when I checked yes to "Encrypt" and "Compress"

I tested the DB pro exe file by moving it to the desktop and running it. It behaved like a non-standalone exe. It would say "Sound could not be loaded" (or some error), and when I put the media files on the destop my exe worked again.

So oviously I do not understand the meaning of "Encrypt" and "Compress." Could someone staighten this out for me maybe? thanks!!

Coding is just better with Music
Have a nice day, God Bless You!
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2010 16:24 Edited at: 11th Jul 2010 16:28
The following info will help you if you are using the standard IDE that comes with DBPro:
1). With the editor open, you should have a PROJECT SUMMARY window on the screen. If not, click VIEW and select SHOW PROJECT MANAGER.
2.) You will see red, green and blue buttons in the lower right or left side of the screen (I think it defaults to the right side). Click on the red button marked SETTINGS.
3.)In the executable file settings, select EXE with attached media.
4.) Click the blue MEDIA button
5.) Add all of your media files (sound, images, objects, etc.)
6.) When you go to compile it, press F4. An .exe will be created.
7.) Move the .exe to your desktop and run it.

NOTE: If you update your media, you will have to delete it from the project manager and add in the new files, as it will not automatically update it.

Hope this helps.

Daygamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2010 07:57
Hey, LBFN. Thanks for the response. Sorry it took me a while to get back.

Okay, I didn't get very far through your steps, because I never found the PROJECT SUMMARY. I did click VIEW but all that was under it was FULL SCREEN, TOOLBARS, and STATUS BAR.

I think I have the standard IDE. I got Dark Game Studio last Christmas, and I've used the IDE that came with it for DB pro.

But thank you for the help. Any more ideas?

Coding is just better with Music
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2010 16:04 Edited at: 12th Jul 2010 16:04
Here is a pic of the standard IDE with the project summary window and buttons.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Daygamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2010 01:00 Edited at: 13th Jul 2010 01:02
I reconize that from YouTube videos and stuff, but apparently I've got something different. I attached a screenshot of mine. Is there anything I could try from this screen?

Coding is just better with music (preferably Owl City!)

Attachments

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 22:58 Edited at: 14th Jul 2010 23:00
click on this icon:

that will show you the media tab, where you can add all the media by clicking the "Import" (folder) button.

Attachments

Daygamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 05:42
okay, and once I add all my media files and run it, it will be completely standalone. What if I'm loading media stored in folders like:

thanks

Daygamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2010 02:14
I've pretty much got it all figured out. Thanks for the help everyone!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 20:26:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 20:26:47