Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [x9] B.E.N.C.H: Nuclear surviving dungeon crawl

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 19:13 Edited at: 14th Jul 2010 19:33
B.E.N.C.H: Nuclear surviving dungeon crawl
-Developer: Heroefol

Im working on the Elder Scrolls fangame still, but i want a liitle break from the fantasyworld. Very small break.
I accidentally found my Fallout 2 today from my old computer, when i was cheking out the files of it before total reinstalling. I played it for a while, and i was completly hooked again in loong time from the release of it, heh. That's were i got an idea for a very small one level game..

The game itself is a "dungeon crawler". Basically, you roam and explore a huge puzzleing "dungeon" or labyrinth, and try to make your way out same time you are finding items, and such a things. Pretty oldschool D&D style game, eh?
Allthough this is placed in Post-Apocalyptic world..

So, the story:
In 2087 a bunch of scientist were noticed a strange phenomenon happening all the time in our world. A very fast warming of the air temperature world-wide. Every single day the air was getting warmer and warmer..
A year passed, and natural resource's like cornfields, and other foodsources dryed to dead. People were getting poorer, and poorer, and more angryer.
This is were scientist developed to make "B.E.N.C.H" (lol, i havent fiugerd out yet what's the meaning of the name) a light uniform and a electronic gasmask, which protects from heatness, and coming gaswaves, which sun were radiating..
A month from the developing of B.E.N.C.H was passed, and gaswaves and temperature were so huge, that people moved to places more "underground" like metrostations or cellars. A week later scientists were making the first test of B.E.N.C.H, which was going just fine testing the electronics of it, untill the sun made it's last move, and a world-wide covered huge blastwave was blasted from the sun..

Almost two days passed when you, the tester scientist of B.E.N.C.H woke up from the floors of the laboratory with pretty much of wounds, and started to look around a little noticing that everyone in the room were turned into a pile of dust, except you. So the B.E.N.C.H was working..
The laboratory was turned into a huge deathtrap, and original levels of it were changed their form from the blastwave.. This is were the exploring starts.

The game itself contains just a one level. The "laboratory" where player have to make he's way out.

Screenie so far progressing

The level is created with very low graphics couse of the rather big size of it..

Uploading more images..

Johnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 19:20
good job well done

Heroefol
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 19:37
Thank you . More to come

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks strange... interesting...

Although I like the HUD, I'd suggest to make the overall "frame" that it creates take less of the full screen, so make it not that thick.

Nice work.

Johnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 19:50 Edited at: 14th Jul 2010 19:50
wow. awesome

one snag: HUD wayyy to big.

[img][/img]
organiser
bman332211
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 19:50
looks good

Heroefol
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 23:04
Thanks for the comments.
@syko games: The hud is meant to be large. It creates a agonizing feeling to the game. Also it adds a very post-apocalyptic eerie with it's buttons and screens. Like..eeh, simulator

More screenshot

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 23:18
Well, it looks cool, but I would make the top of the hud thinner, and maby a bit round, and same for the sides. Is this supposed to be a mask or something? The screens look nice, I like the green fog

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 23:42
You have 500 lives and 99 health on the hud . I have a feeling it's not supposed to be like that.

To anyone who lives in England: I liked London when I went two weeks ago.
Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 23:49
That hud takes 35% of the screen...make it smaller..a lot smaller!I understand the concept,but a lot of people will find it annoying.

It does give a post apocalyptic feel though.Keep it up!
charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 09:24
Looks awesome,I love the retro graphics.

AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 10:07
Looks great!! The hud reminds me of Doom!

Abdul Ahad
Zay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 10:08
The game reminds me of the old 1996 games.

Contact me in Skype,name- nejcplan
Heroefol
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 11:38 Edited at: 15th Jul 2010 11:39
Thanks for comments . I made the hud a BIT smaller. Not much. Just enough.. I wanted to give the game an old fallout pip-boy feeling with the hud. It is little bit of inspired by the Fallout 2 "hud" or whatever it's called in topdown games. Also thanks Zey. It's meant to look a bit retro
http://extralives.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/fallout2_1.jpg

So i smalled the edges of the hud a bit, so it looks like what i wanted it to. Also the lives and healt is changed

Heroefol
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 11:58
And showing more

Heroefol
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 12:18
..oonee more..

Heroefol
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 13:02
And couple more..

Kick some ass..

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2010 22:01
Looks pretty good so far. I won't bother saying you should make the HUD a little smaller because I know you won't.

My only criticism so far is that the level looks a little samey through all of the screens. If it's one large level and there is emphasis on exploring, you should try to come up with as many different environments as possible whilst still fitting into the overall theme. I notice your using the same segments/entities repeatedly. I don't know about everyone else, but I know I'd become bored pretty quickly.

There are lots of environments you could try:

A block of offices, a security centre (firing ranges, mess hall etc), a big storage facility, a hospital, a water treatment plant, an underground docks etc etc etc. There are hundreds of possibilities.

I think the main considerations for a game like this are level design, atmosphere and interest. The level design seems pretty good, the atmosphere is getting there, but I think that there is a lack of interest at the moment.
PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 06:06
How will the player see his weapons? They're blocked by the hud. Other than that, I love that classic feel. Reminds me of a retro version of Fallout, or Doom. That fog is sick!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 09:34:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 09:34:07