Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Newbie Problem loading .3DS objects,

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey all, thank you for clicking on this post.

I'm writing a small game involving .3DS objects made by a friend on a program called 3DS Max or something similar.

When my program gets to the load object "****.3DS",1 command, it crashes, every time.
It has had no problem using the objects provided with the DarkBASIC Professional disk in the DarkMatter collection. And I have been able to view the models my friend provided using the DarkMatter browser application.

So.. what am I doing wrong? My code works fine, I believe.

Has this happened to anyone else with models from the 3DS Max application?

Thank you for your time,
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2010 18:01
I have had this problem with 3DS files from Anim8or as well, but I thought TGC had just stopped supporting the 3DS format, I didn't know that their models still worked.

I do know that the 3DS format can vary significantly from program to program, so DarkBASIC must not like 3DS Max's interpretation of it. You should try to use .X files instead, if at all possible.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2010 18:54
I have been able to load .3ds files into DBPro from Milkshape with pretty good success, but sometimes the model is not imported correctly. If you want to email me the .3ds model, I can try loading it into Milkshape and re-exporting it to see if it works.

I agree with BMacZero that .x files work best, plus they support boned animation.

So many games to code.......so little time.
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2010 22:10
I've had the same problem. It doesn't even show an error message. It just starts loading the program, then exits with no warning.

My problem was trying to load a .3ds model that was too highpoly. (> 10,000 polygons.) When I converted it to .x, it worked fine. If your friend is using 3ds max, and he is going to continue making models for you, have him download the pandasoft .x exporter plugin for it. As said before, .x is your best option.

I know that DBPro has it's own 3d file format (.dbo) but I have never used it so I don't know how much better this is to use. You would probably have to write up a little converter inside DBP or there might even be one on the forum somewhere.

My green thumb grew the tree my Trojan War horse was crafted from. With roses in our pockets we rally round the tombstones. Ashes to ashes, we all fall down.
vampire2948
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, issue has been resolved.

My friend found a plugin to allow him to export the files as .x files, and they work within our game now.

Thanks to everyone for the help,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 20:19:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 20:19:20