Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Some Update to Mario and something new

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I am still working on that Mario game I posted pics from a year ago.
I couldn´t continue much with the project as my studies are quite time consuming, only little improvements here and there. Also I started playing around with an RPG Style project...
Anyway here is one video of each project, note that Mario is still my favourite
Mario:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W408SwpR6mw
RPG Project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwy0Rz1pimA
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow that Mario game looks really cool. You should release a playable demo.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 02:59
@ Nabz_32x
Don't remember any pics of a Mario game years ago but both these games look pretty cool. You should post some screenshots and game info to get more attention.

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 09:47 Edited at: 20th Jul 2010 15:21
here is the Link to the old (frozen) thread with some explanations:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=150055&b=8

Current status:
Currently I am busy refining the Code for the Koopa enemys, they tend to glitch completly random.
The only power ups currently are coins, mushrooms and the fire flower.
I have implemented the use of an Xbox 360 controller, but having trubble checking for wall jumps while an analog control is used, should be possible to implement though.
I have only made a modell of yoshy so far but still needs to be implemented, before I add this feature too I want to make shure the code is tidy enough.
The Level Editor is working and quite useable and things like collision detection are finally 100% glitch free .
The largest issue is youre not able to finish a level as I only implemented the finish line as an visible but not interactable object. I want to implement this feature when I am finished collection ideas for a level select screen.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 02:59
Your Mario game definitely shows a lot of promise, nice work. Even the RPG is looking good.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is some information on the RPG project:
Standart single player RPG.
You play one main character with changing followers. There can be only one follower and followers can only be equiped to change their stats. I plan some heavy story telling in this one.

Currently working:
-Loading and editing landscape with LOD.
-Battle System working, but theres currently only the option for one attack (only need to make some new animations).0
-Textboxes are working

Not implemented:
-Collision (I will use a combination of standart static collision and ellipsoid collision)
-Menue system (inventory, stats, saving...)
-conversation with NPCs

So this is going to need some more work to actually show off itself.
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 13:14
These both look great. The Mario looks like Mario, but a bit different. Sort of halfway between 2D Mario and Mario 64, with a more realistic main character. Seems to work solidly and the mechanics look Mario.

The RPG looks really lovely. You say you're working on LOD and stuff. I look forward to seeing more of this. I'd suggest keeping it manageable and getting it done, but you seem to know what you're doing.

Happy coding!
Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello again,
I am currently very busy cleaning up the Mario code... Now I am having trouble with jumping physics again. I need a simple check method if mario is allowed to jump, so i thought at first simply check if Marios Y movement stays the same but thats not gonna work because Mario goes up slopes sometime, where he should be allowed to jump and changes his Y coordinates...
I start my falling jumping physics by adding a variable to the Y coordinates (from 10 jumping with max speed to -16 falling at max speed) then I check if theres ground underneath or boxes (after movement calculations) above and alter marios y according to it...
My new idea is to check the slope Level of the ground between marios current position and the position one frame ahead and compare marios y, to see if an altered position still goes in conformity with the slope level. I hope that will sort jumping finally out.
Also is there a way to edit the clipping of objects (I mean disabling the automatic hiding of 3d objects)? That would multiply the games performance by at least 3 times.

Also Can someone suggest me a nice performance saving shadow shader to use with animated objects? Currently I am using the standart DBpro shadow shader for my RPG project. Maybe an shadow shader which isn´t affected when displaying ghosted objects on the same screen.
pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
just have a condition that states if he's in the air or not. if not then he can jump.

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2010 02:26 Edited at: 8th Aug 2010 14:27
Regarding the mario game:
I solved the jumping by simply glueing mario on the ground he walks on. Also the jumping physics and animations where altered.
Wrote my own simple moving objects collision routine which dosen´t skip random objects anymore.

I have also finished cleaning up my sourcecode, it is much easier to add new routines to the editor / game now.

Things I plan to implement:

-Yoshy (I think i gonna use some auto aim for his tongue in an limited area when eating)

-larger Blocks wich are scaleable in the editor
(instead of putting 9 single blocks together you can draw
one customized box that looks just like those 9 blocks would.
Only to work for non breakable boxes)

-dynamic plattforms (moving, falling when Mario stands on etc.)

-the block that makes mario running up walls

-way more enemys(i.e. football koopas, Lakitu, Shy Guys)

-Feather / Cape Mario (sure it will be hard to write the cape effects properly, I only took a short glimpse at the waving flag demo yet)

-underground stages, castle stages (just need some new textures for that)

-Power Switches with customizable events (coins to blocks, adding blocks, changing ground height etc..)

-the transportable spring

-some special stages

-one world map

Here is a new video which shows off some short block action (-;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QA_9_y0shI

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello again,
I started working on the worldmap editor today.
This is what I got for today:

Currently I haven´t made any landscape objects to place them.
The Level entrances will have to be added seperately to the existing paths once these are implemented.

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2010 01:03 Edited at: 30th Sep 2010 01:04
Here is some new stuff I implemented today:
Moving platforms & climbing Plants:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J77fq_3XFZM

Also I implemented sliding, but I haven´t recorded it yet...

Demo is getting closer...

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2010 03:11
Looking good. I look forward to the demo.
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
It looks very good! Congratulations on the progress so far.
Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello again, I found a new bug with collision detection today...
If Mario walks exactly against a corner and he is facing right towards it (i.e. he hits a corner (the exact corner spot) wich is in the upper right position of him at an exact angle of 45 degrees, he will go through the wall... (The collision engine thinks he hits two walls at the same time, one facing left the other facing down)
The thing can be fixed, but I am tired of testing, as this fault is hard to reproduce.
If anyone wants to help me test this, send me an e-mail and I will send you the "repaired" version for testing over this weekend... You will need an analogue controller (I use the 360 one, but any controller with 4 buttons and a joystick will work) to test every possibility of collision.

The more testers, the better!

E-mail: nabz_32x@freenet.de

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
This is awesome, I love the level style. Two things catch my eye thought: Mario seems super small. I'm pretty sure that's just because its fullscreen though (roite?) An option to zoom might be good if you are able to play in windowed mode.

Also, in the map editor, do you place down island objects? Or do you raise and lower terrain?

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2010 14:11 Edited at: 6th Oct 2010 16:03
Mario is this small, because he is small and will die when he takes another hit.
(I still need to make an extra small modell with a larger head, right now he is only scaled down).
Edit: Noticed that Mario was Big in the recent video... Sorry.
An option to zoom the camera will definetly be implemented if there is enough demand for this.

In the Editor you can place your island shapes and you alter their height by raising and lowering the matrix.

Oh and I have fixed the Bug in the collision mentioned above, but I need some testers, maybe there is still some kind of bug... I will upload a Demo with a Testmap only to test for collision, if someone is interested...

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
No one wants to test collision? I´m sad )-;

^^

But i want to discuss an important aspect of controlling Mario:

When Mario runs in the SNES Versions he gains momentum and is unable to stop instantly. As I implemented this in the engine landing jumps correctly became super hard especially with small platforms...

Do you guys insist of getting momentum while running?
(Mario would gain mementum when sliding though)

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Then try disabling it while being in the air.
Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
having it enabled while in the air is just the right difficulty and needed for a good gameplay... Its the mommentum on the ground that I am talking about, just asking if people want to have this feature when Mario is on the ground with his feet...

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2010 12:58 Edited at: 11th Dec 2010 23:01
Latest Progress, showing football koopas and yoshy:

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 19:22
Looks nice. I only saw Mario around a friend's house when I was little, but Yoshi's appearance and movement looks "authentic". I imagine the tongue grab and eat was a pain to get right, and it does look right.
Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
It was kinda hard implementing yoshy, I recently finished his "runaway" algorythm and added the spin Jump to Marios move list, so you can jump off from yoshy... Now I just need to implement the different abillitys yoshy gets when he eats a koopa, the small yoshys in different colorations and everything yoshy related should be good.

I am now trying to get the worldmap correctly implemented in the main game which is also a pain because I haven´t documented all the object numbers I used...

The two important things now missing for an worthy demo are portable trampolines and those blocks that make mario walking up walls, different level styles like castle, underground etc. I will attempt afterwards.

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2011 12:38 Edited at: 16th Apr 2011 23:58
I have rewritten the editor and finished the second tileset,
also fixed several bugs and added shadows under blocks and coins again.
I am currently working on the world map editor code and the implementation of the world map in the game.

The shadows aren´t visible in the videos, because I have just implemented them yesterday:
Gameplay
Editor

Camera code is still under construction, objects that are between Mario and the camera will be drawn ghosted

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2011 23:52 Edited at: 16th Apr 2011 23:58
New video with improved camera code, which only needs some minor further tweaking (also the readded shadows are visible in this one)...

Also updated the HUD (thanks CBN0 (http://www.youtube.com/user/CBN0) for his help, he also updated the coin sprites)...
World map is also coming along pretty good...
I only have half the time now to continue working on this project, because of damn work) I really hope to get this damn demo out before the first half of this year is over, if someone is interested helping me out further with some sprites or modells, his or her help would be highly appreciated.

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2011 10:19
I like that RPG Project very much . It's idea is from Final Fantasy (Crysis Core/VII) right ?

Drillfoot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2011 21:02
Very good!! Keep up the good work!! I look forward to this beta and release! Keep going!

rem allow user create game with one click
rem create graphics, sound, scripts, models, with one click
rem slap user in face if game choice is mmo
Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
@kamac:
The RPG project is on a halt, I have no story for it yet, the only thing related
to FF7 is the huge sword the player carrys arond.
@drillfoot:
I could upload a beta containing just one level to get some feedback from you guys about the controls and the camera, also I want to know if there are any Bugs left in the collision system, I could upoad it tomorrow if the interest is there.

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 18:14 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2011 18:17
Quote: "the only thing related
to FF7 is the huge sword the player carrys arond."

Not really. Also Battle system. "Battle Cleared".

+ The guy's clothes looks smilar to Cloud's. (I mean that piece of metal on his left arm).

On your place i'd rather continue aHero than ... Mario, which is very popular and your version of it isn't something really brand new .

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm shocked how you don't even try to hide the fact that jumping equals death in this game

If i remember correctly you use your own level editor, which is an awesome thing, however you could teach it to be able to put down camera positions here and there, so the camera moderately changes places / angles at certain areas, so jumping becomes fine.

-In.Dev.X: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~6%
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS ~15%
-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 16:26:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 16:26:11