Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / RTS Programming - How?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 19:31
Hello everyone,

I have decided that I would like to program a simple RTS game in DarkGDK, but am not sure which direction I should head in to achieve this.

Any help would be appreciated of course!

Thanks

baconboy2

My Portfolio Website - http://boomerang-studios.webs.com/
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 20:04
First you need to decide what sort of RTS game you want to make:
- 2D Tile based, 2.5D isometric or 3D
- Currency
- How to win/lose
- Setting (ie. WWII, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, etc.)
- Story
- Types of units and buildings

All of these things may affect how you should go about creating the game.

[b]
baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 20:12
Ok, here is the basic idea, according to your criteria, Diggsey:

- 3D RTS

- Resource Collecting (Wood, Gold, Iron, Wheat)

- Eliminate opposition

- Medieval Europe

- Still working on the storyline, but it will be based in Europe in the year 1200, and the years will tick by during game play

- There will be a generic template of soldiers available to recruit. As time passes, technological advances allows the recruitment of better soldiers and armour. Initially, you will have Sword Militia, Spear Militia, Archer Militia and Horse Militia. Tech advances will allowed improved soldiers, with different nations having their own variations (i.e. English Longbowman, Tuetonic Knight etc).

- For buildings, there will be the generic barracks, archery range, stables, town hall etc that are in most RTS games.

I will be writing up a more comprehensive GDD within the next couple of days.

What should I do next?

Thanks

My Portfolio Website - http://boomerang-studios.webs.com/
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 00:39
Well, to start with you might want to make the landscape. If you want a terrain you could try advanced terrain or BlitzTerrain.

From there you could go on to adding camera movement around the terrain.

You will need variables to hold the amount of each resource which you have, and you will need a GUI to display this information to the user.

For units, you might want to make a base class for all types of unit. This would hold information like position on the terrain, direction the unit is facing, health, which player it belongs to, etc.
For each type of unit you would inherit from this base class adding the necessary functionality as you go.

For buildings, you would do pretty much the same thing, but with a building base class instead.

You might have the classes load in any 3d objects they need in the constructor, and delete them in the destructor. You will need a global list of all units so that you can loop through them and update them, and one for buildings too. You could have the base classes automatically add a pointer to themselves into the relevent list in the constructor, and remove it in the destructor.

The user will need a way to select units. Box selection can be done by using 'dbObjectScreenX/Y' to detect if a unit is inside the box. Single object selection can be done using 'dbPickObject'.

If you want units to be able to navigate you will need to implement some sort of pathfinding.

Do all that and you have the bare bones of an RTS.

[b]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-04 09:42:20
Your offset time is: 2024-07-04 09:42:20