Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Barnski's Winsock Library. (Contacting the author)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone, I have rather an unusual question.

I'm using Barnski's winsock library 1.2.1 for a project of mine, which is developed in Leadwerks Engine 2. It is sold by TGC, but doesn't really have it's own dedicated board here, so most people here probably have no clue as to who I am.

But back to the point. After trying (and failing miserably) to incorporate winsock into my project, I remembered from my DBP days, that there was a plugin here that I swore by for networking. Indeed it was also translated over to C++ as a static lib. Instantly, I've got my networking, well .. working (poor joke there).

But now I want to contact the author regarding usage restrictions. They are included, but I just want to know them in a bit more detail, especially if I decide to stick a (small) £5 on it (I'm also after trying out the release version too, rather than the debug version, if he will allow it).

I have sent an email off to the address listed on his DB Pro plugin's website (which, for the sake of spam-harvester bots, I am not going to list - a human should know where I am meaning). But after 8 days I still have absolutely no response from him.

Also after looking through posts here, I can't seem to find any sign of activity from him on these boards for at least a year. So I am fearing that he may have abandoned the email address he listed, possibly due to spam. But that leaves me with no way of contacting him. (However, there are over a million posts to potentially search, so there is every chance that the info I am after, is here on these boards, and that I've just not found it.)

So I guess my real question is, does anyone here know of any other way of contacting him?
Or if someone does happen to know his current active address, is there any way they could inform that I'm trying to contact him via his publically listed address (The latter option is better in the fight against spam, but relies on the unlikely chance that someone knows him personally)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2010 23:33
You could just use winsock directly as that plugin pretty much just wraps around it, doing very little itself.

Mumbles
Years of Service
User Offline
I finally got in contact with him last night, for anyone finding themselves in a similar position, the email address you need is not the one listed on his website, but rather it's hiding in the header file (I only spotted it two weeks later)

Now, In response to Michael P: Thanks, I'm aware I could use winsock myself. That was my original intention, but I could not seem to make it do as I wished, and eventually got rather frustrated with my own inability to use it.

After that, I remembered how I could use this DBP plugin years ago, and worked as I wanted it to back then. Now it had been released as a static lib for the DarkGDK users and indeed my frustrations went away. I was finally getting the network communication that I was after. But with no way of getting hold of Barnski, I would be stuck to being free. Free was the original intention anyway, but with financial pressures, and me still out of a job (Since March), maybe I would need a small little price tag (Only a fiver or so), to at least make up for some missed funds I would have got if still working.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-04 10:09:36
Your offset time is: 2024-07-04 10:09:36