Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / need a little help flying my plane

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was messing around with a plane from the darkmatter collection
I haven't done much yet but I'm trying to get the physics down for how the plane flies.
I have a plane speed and when you press the up arrow or down arrow
the plane pitches up or down and then I use sin, cos to get how
fast the plane should go up down forward backward. that all works great.

my question is when I hit left or right arrow key I roll the plane
I don'the physics to figure out the effects of that on my horizontal movement (and does it effect up and down as well maybe a pilot knows) anyway I attached what I have so far so you can download it if you like, it will be much easier to see what I'm talking about

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dia
Years of Service
User Offline
are you going for a simple flight? or are you trying to accurately model the physics of flight?

if you are after simple, I would use roll object, pitch object, turn object and move object commands to simulate your flight

if you are going for semi-accuracy then yes, rolling the aircraft has a couple of effects, tweo of which are:

1. your lift is reduced (Lift = Lift(Level) x cos (Bank Angle)) and hence the aircraft will lose altitude. this is the reason pilots have to raise the nose of the aircraft for a level altitude banking turn

2. the wings will produce a force to the side that the aircraft rolls towards (sideforce = Lift(Level) x sin(Bank angle). This is generally experienced as a mix of lateral shift and a change in heading which varies depending on aircraft type, engine configuration and about a billion other factors to do with the aircraft design.

this is only the example of two interactions. If you wanted to actually model the flight physics, then you would have to consider so many seperate variables that doing it in realtime is currently not achievable. (even Air force and airline simulators etc only use an approximation rather than real time simulation and calculations)

This is not the Sig you are looking for....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 20:30:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 20:30:39