Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Myriad of Errors Upon Debugging

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I have been programming with Dark GDK for about the last week now, and I just switched computers. I installed all of the requirements, and everything seemed to be working out just fine. However, whenever I run my project, I get the following series of errors:

"Failed to get device caps"
"Failed to find valid stencil buffer"
"Unable to create device"
"Unable to setup 3D device"

Note that this project worked fine on my other computer, so I'm not quite sure why the same code is producing so many errors on this one.

For reference, I am running a Windows Vista 32 bit virtual machine on a Linux host. Does this somehow have something to do with it?

What can I do about this?

Thanks in advance.
pirogoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 20:33
In a way, you just answered your own question. Virtual Machines generally don't have hardware acceleration for video. As a result, games don't work. Or more precisely, anything that uses OpenGL or DirectX won't work.

Now some VM's have experimental support for hardware acceleration of OpenGL and a little for DirectX, usually up to 8.0. The problem with this with the GDK is that the GDK requires DirectX 9.0, and support for that in a VM is spotty at best.

If you still want/need to go the VM route, try VirtualBox and VMWare.
SoulMazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Bummer. Well, I am running Virtual Box, and I tried enabling 3D acceleration and 2D video acceleration, but that didn't seem to help my problem. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to develop under a native Windows host.

Thanks for the information.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-04 09:40:51
Your offset time is: 2024-07-04 09:40:51