Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Help with a old FPS Tutorial

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
A while back, I purchased DarkBASIC online and noticed that it came with a Programming Manual. It was helpful (and had less errors than the directions located in the files for some reason,) but I also found out it teaches you how to make a First-Person Shooter. I typed in the code accordingly (and looked up errors on the forum) and it runs the EXE, but all I got was a blank screen.

For reference sake, here is the entire code I used from the tutorial

While no errors were found, I noticed something interesting in "TUT3C."

Quote: "As you can see, each subroutine has a name that describes what it does. At the moment they are all empty and contain no code. Later on in the tutorial we shall fill these subroutines with commands."

I didn't see the "later on" portion of this tutorial. I'll look into this, but I can't help but wander if there's more that's missing than this.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Oh Lord! A beginner!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2010 22:05
You have pretty much all of the code in the wrong places. For example, the TUT5C should be placed between the lines '_control_player:' and it's following 'return'.

Read and follow the tutorial again, taking care to understand it and not just blindly type in the code.

luskos
Years of Service
User Offline
I remember that one, i did this by following directions in the help files long time ago and it worked.I barely undarstand how everything works back then, but i did it.If i remember correct the bullet used was a cube, i didn't like it much so i change it to a sphere which was more in place.

Listen to IanM he pointed the finger, just look where to.

Good luck!Have fun!

Coding is My Kung Fu!
And My Kung Fu is better than Yours!
Gungjuilio
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried this code from the Dark basic Pro Assistant and it errored out on me. Function call 'wrapvalue' expects parameters in brackets at line 79.

I double checked the code and it is exact the way the tutorial has it listed.

Being new at this I have to take the tutorials directions and trust that it is correct.

What do I do ohh great and wounderouse guru of the code?
Shadow Legacy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2010 18:15
I done this tutorial, or at least tried to, I found it very hard to know where to place some of the code because some of it wasn't explained good enough for total noobs (in my experiences) also when I got it barel working I noticed that the bullets are really messed up, if you change your direction then the bullets change there trajectory, and it never went into the details of making the game work fully, for instance if you collided with the towers you created then your sent to your last spawn location, instead of it using a basic collision code and just making it so you hit it you don't go through it

DBPro noob here
Skype = Shadow-Legacy
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2010 02:17 Edited at: 27th Nov 2010 22:32
deleted

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:29:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:29:57