Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / free tileset

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2010 09:30 Edited at: 30th Jul 2010 09:31
Here's a tileset I've been working on the past few days as I write my 2D game editor. Thought I'd share it for anyone who needs a few tiles to play around with in their game. Tiles are 48x48

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2010 13:47
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2010 14:20
I like the style, kinda has a painted look to it - I think it looks great when you have that painted style backdrop with cartoon style characters, like an old Disney cartoon.

But, one thing I would say... I think your project is begging, on it's knees! - to be ISOMETRIC!. Maybe just me tho, been playing a lot of Dungeon Hunter on the iPhone. An isometric game in that style would look great I think.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Frank C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2010 14:46
I like the Tileset but I have a question about using Tilesets like these, since the Tiles do not seem to be a uniform size (some look like one 32 pixel square, others like multiple squares for a larger tile) how do you break it out when reading in the file?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2010 00:18
The file is cut into 48x48 tiles. Part of designing a good tileset is making objects not look like they fit inside tiles. The body of the bridge for instance is 3 tiles wide. The left and right ends and then the middle piece which can be displayed on a map multiple times in a row to expand its overall length in the game. Same goes for my cheezy cylinder thing. Piece two tiles side by side to get the larger width (or larger tile as you'd like to think) and repeat the tiles vertically to create a super tall tower.

I'll post a snippet in a few minutes showing how I load such an image into a memblock and create individual images from it.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2010 13:13
Ok, here's the function I use to split an image up into separate tiles.

VanB, isometric really does add so much more depth to a 2D game. I'm going to take a look into a more sophisticated collision system which would allow for more precise collision with tiles which only use half its space. Think of a square cut diagonally. If I get that working, then technically you could fake the isometric tiles (i say fake because the system isn't true isometric) as long as they're drawn properly.

Frank C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2010 21:43
Thanks for the info Phaelax, I will give that a try and see what I can do with it. I'm currently getting a library of information before I actually do any coding.
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2010 21:57
I really love the stonework

Play Sim Games- still in development

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 14:53:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 14:53:16