Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [LOCKED] [x9] Seclusion WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 18:46 Edited at: 26th Sep 2011 23:21
SECLUSION THE TRILOGY (WIP)

Developed by Bruce3371

About Seclusion;

Seclusion will be a full 17 level game, with the 1st 7 levels being released as shareware.

I've tried to make this game with a mixture of stock and custom media, and I think I've managed to get the balance between the two just about right

Synopsis;

An 'Operative' is sent to an old mansion to investigate reports of people disappearing in its viscinity. However on arriving at the mansion you discover that there is more to it than just an old house on the edge of the city. The first clue you get is the armed guard patrolling the Mansion's grounds.
Once inside, you realise that this is no ordinary 'old mansion'. Why is there a communications center on the top floor? Why is part of the mansion underground? These are just two of the many questions which will be answered as you play through the full game..............

Please note, this isn't yet another Zombie Apocolypse/Zombie Infestation game!

Please also note, no Zombies were harmed/will be harmed during the making of this game, Zombies have rights too!!

Seclusion now has its own web site and Youtube Channel!

http://seclusion.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/bruce3371seclusion

Game Progress;

Symbol Key

Completed =
Started =
Not Started =

Seclusion (Shareware)

Level 1
Level 2
Level 3
Level 4
Level 5
Level 6
Level 7

Seclusion (Full game)

Level 8
Level 9
Level 10
Level 11
Level 12
Level 13
Level 14
Level 15
Level 16
Level 17

Seclusion Shareware has been built and passed on to my play testers!!!!

Gameplay Video (Shows the 'Cascading Explosion' from Episode 1, Level 2 in action);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt4xd8a1LGY

Screenshots;

This game will be the very first game I have ever made!

Third Party Credits;

Custom media provided by Anayar, Myself, Cosmic Prophet, henry ham, Heltor, LBS, Nbt, PW Productions, rosstradamus,Shadow heart, Starmind, wizard of id

(If anyone else recognises their media, please accept my apologies for not mentioning your name. Send me an email, and I'll be sure to add your name to the credits list)

Adaptive Bloom and Item Flash shaders provided by bond1

Shading, lighting and scripting know-how provided by Nbt

Cascading explosion scripts provided by ctm

Shooting range script provided by Conjured Entertainment

Superstar helpers/advisers/encouragers; Scene Commander, Nbt and Anayar

Play Testers; Anayar and Scene Commander

Special thanks to Anayar for the awesome sig he made for the game

This game uses Scene Commander's 'WASPv2 Mod' for increased performance and other features;

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=178118&b=21

Constructive criticism and comments/suggestions are always welcome.

aceRIDA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 21:39 Edited at: 6th Aug 2010 00:37
Looks pretty good so far. But yea like you said, u could use some work with the lighting, nd i would add some kind of atmosphere(like background buildings) in the first image.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 21:53
Thanks for the pointers I've been trying to think about what to add to the outdoor section and I was thinking about adding some 'dummy' buildings (maybe from the urban pack?) to hide the bunker that's behind the long fence in the background of the first shot. The idea behind the whole of that outdoor section is that its an old house which is concealing a large underground complex (kind of like the first Resident Evil film). What do you think?

I game therefore I am.
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 23:12
Your on a good start
AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 12:37
Looks very good. But low fps.

I really like the building in the second screen.

Overall great work!

Abdul Ahad
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 14:24
I got to give you props for using lighting. Not many new use it around here. Altho that could be inproved, like you said. And the design doesen't look too interesting right now. It's a great start thou!

My old YouTube account got deleted. My new account is called MetalFPSC. thanks for your time!
DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 17:25 Edited at: 6th Aug 2010 17:26
Or maybe me, too, maybe We should give you hints on lighting..

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 17:59 Edited at: 6th Aug 2010 21:57
Thanks for the comments guys! I'm going to spend the rest of the day working on the lighting.
I kind of like the lighting in the first two shots. The first one is supposed to be the orange sodium light from street lights. The second one I wanted to have two bright lights to emphasis the front of the building.
That just leaves the interior lighting that needs to be sorted out. Any hints and tips would be gratefully accepted thanks!
(Edit) I've just added a cellar/generator room underneath the mansion building, but I need to think of a way to integrate it into the story, so that there is a reason for it being there, any ideas?

I game therefore I am.
WWIV Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2010 01:51
Try a different skybox too. You can change this is the build game set up

Johnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2010 01:53
Can in just ask WWIV studio's why have you got the OIDC logo as your signature?

Your signature has been erased by a mod please reduce it to 600 x 120.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2010 02:37 Edited at: 7th Aug 2010 18:49
I have just changed the skybox to a night sky one, I've also changed the wall outside the mansion so it looks more real, with just a 'control room door' to make it look like there's 'something not quite right' about it (story-wise). I've also toned down some of the interior lighting, it was a bit too bright in places.

This is the new skybox and perimeter wall.

The mansion with the new skybox.

I toned down the lighting in this area very slightly.

This is the new science lab with entities and lighting added.

I also toned down the lighting slightly in the detention block.

This is the end of level 1, with dim yellow lighting in one of the detention cells.

As always, constructive criticism and comments will be gratefully accepted

I game therefore I am.
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2010 10:32
Quote: "Can in just ask WWIV studio's why have you got the OIDC logo as your signature?"

Can I ask you, why not?

My old YouTube account got deleted. My new account is called MetalFPSC. thanks for your time!
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2010 01:55
I've just had to edit my previous post because 3 of my in-game screenshots didn't show up. They're all where they should be now, so what do people think of the changes that I have made?

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2010 15:43
The outdoor scene with the street lights would benefit from better placement of the lights so they appear to originate from the street lights. Also good use of the "illuminationent.fx" shader in combination with a suitable _I texture would really bring life to many of your light entities.

Over all very nice, if a little sparse. Maybe try not to have everything look uniform and add a little chaos to the levels

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2010 16:42
Thanks again for the comments, keep them coming!

I've tried to make the lights look as though they originate from the street lights, but I haven't had any success. Is it possible make fine adjustments to the height of light markers?

Is the "illuminationent.fx shader" the one that makes a light entity 'glow'?

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2010 17:22
If you right click the light marker in FPSC you can then move it up/down, left right etc to get it exactly where you want it. Also if you aligning to a ceiling, press the "+" key to make the ceiling show.

Yes the illuminationent.fx is the one that makes lights 9or anything you set the _I texture up for) to glow

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2010 18:12
Ok I got the height of the light markers sorted out, it was easier than I thought it was and also works for entities! But I'm having problems with the illuminationent.fx. I'll keep trying and see if I can get it sorted.

I game therefore I am.
greysword
Years of Service
User Offline
nice work so far but what if you add some more entities it makes the rooms look nicer

anyway keep it up!
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2010 23:49 Edited at: 8th Aug 2010 23:50
Here is a little ceiling light setup with an _I texture for you to see how it works. I was too lazy to make an icon for it :p

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2010 03:00
Thanks Nbt! I'll have a got with that later, see if I can get it to work. Meantime, I'm having problems of my own making! I've gone and made the first level way too big, it uses up 1056MB lol. I've got some dificult decisions to make. How much I can bare to cut after all the work I've put into it so far. I was planning on making 5 levels, so I'm thinking of possibly splitting the first level in two. But the thought of having to redo a lot of it is putting me off! Serves me right for getting carried away lol!

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2010 17:55 Edited at: 9th Aug 2010 17:56
bruce mate, that aint too big, my london pack map is about 1.3GB and is fine. The limit is 1.85GB per level/map not per entire game

Even a really basic level would clock up around 600mb.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2010 19:25
Doh! Don't I feel stupid right now lol. For some reason I got it into my thick head that there was a limit of 2GB per game!! Well that sure is a relief anyway, I'll just carry on with what I was doing.

However, I did have a brainstorming session last night about it and I've come up with a slightly different design concept than my original one.

I'm still planning on making 5 levels, but with with each section of my current first level split between the 5 levels and greatly expanded.

The first level will deal with the above ground mansion and the entrance to the underground facility.

The next 4 levels (I don't want to give away too much right now) will deal with the underground facility itself. Each of these four levels will be accessed by a central stairwell hub type affair, with each level being 1 level further underground.

As you go down deeper into the facility, each level will gradually get darker and dirtier, with the final level being a maintenance level. This is where the final action sequence will take place.

I'm also toying with the idea of making it a trilogy of 5 level games, each game telling a sequential part of the overall story; again I won't give away too much at this stage. All I will say is that there won't be a definitive conclusion at the end of the 5th level of the current game that I am making.

What do you think? Will this be do-able, or am I biting off more than I can chew? Bearing in mind that I have dabbled with Unreal Editor 2 in the past, so I'm not a complete game making 'virgin' so to speak lol. (Unfortunately I no longer have any of the stuff I made with UE2, I binned it ages ago).

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2010 22:18
We all have a blonde moment from time to time

As to if your biting off more than you can chew, no one knows that but you

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2010 23:02
OK then, I'm going to forge ahead with this. I had another brainstorming session today, so now I have story outlines and design concepts for all 3 games that will make up the trilogy. I have also written down some level outlines, so I know roughly what each level (15 in total!) will contain.

In the meantime, I'll post some more screenies when I've made the necessary changes to the first level

I game therefore I am.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 23:59 Edited at: 12th Aug 2010 00:04
Uh Oh! Double post again, sorry folks!

I've made quite a few changes to my first level, here are some more screenies;

This the work I've done to the street outside the mansion. I've added some buildings to add interest. I still can't make the street lights look as though they are lit up. The illuminent.fx just lights up the whole streetlight, not just the head

I've added some trees either side of the approach to the mansion.

I've also changed the lights either side of the front door.

This is the top floor of the mansion, we're just starting to see new mixed with old here. Ther's more to add here, plus lighting of course.

This is the inside of the bottom floors of the mansion, again, there's more to add plus lighting.

I've slightly changed the control room and stairwell lighting again!! I wanted the corridors and stairwell to be quite dimly lit.

As usual, comments are most welcome.

I game therefore I am.
AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 00:34
Try using less stock media, but it looks good.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 00:49
Thanks! I was trying to get the balance right between stock and community made, but like I said, there is still plenty to do, so I will make sure I add more community made stuff! Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy any of the TGC add-on packs, so I've been hunting the forums for some good free stuff to use. I have downloaded lots of media, so I will try to use as much of it as I think will fit in with the overall look of the game

I game therefore I am.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 20:53
Update time. I've been busy adding more entities and tweeking the lighting in the first level. My next job is adding enemy AI to it. At the moment, there is only one enemy to fight, so I know I need to add a lot more! Also, I nned to expand the level somehow, as in its current form, it's very short.

Also, I will be adding an easter egg somewhere in the level, dedicated to Heltor. See my other thread for more details of this.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=174137&b=21

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 02:01
I now hate you for making me install that horrid model pack again
Also try as I may, I can't get illumination.fx to like that horrid textured streetlight, sorry Even set as static it glows all over like it's dynamic

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 02:26
lol Are there any other (free) streetlight models out there that will allow me to to use the illumination.fx? Like you, when I tried it, the whole streetlight lit up, instead of just the head.

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 03:02
E-mail me your e-mail address bruce and I will send you a streetlight.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 03:32
Just updated my profile, you can email me now

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 04:42
e-mail sent

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 17:21
I got your email thanks, I've sent a reply Screenies to follow!

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 17:25
Oh Cool

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 18:25
AAAAAAAAAARGH!! It doesn't work!! All I get when I try to put it in my level is a tiny dot but no street light! I think my level hates me lol. Any ideas? (I had this same problem with one of the floor segments from the mega sci fi community pack).

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 20:29 Edited at: 15th Aug 2010 20:35
Read your e-mail bruce.

Little tip, whenever you see the little white ball, it means the mesh is missing/or not where the .fpe/.fps says it is. So a Quick check of the .fpe/s file will tell you the name of the mesh and were it should be. On this occasion I missed out one folder in the file structure designated in the .fpe file

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 20:55
Ok, thanks for the tip, sorry to be such a nuisance.

I really need to start looking into FPSC a lot deeper, ie all the settings, folder structure, scripts etc etc.

At the moment I seem to be relying too much on other people, instead of at least trying to gain the skill sets for myself. I must aim to correct this error on my part.

In the meantime, I really appreciate all the help you have given me so far

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 21:00
You may even find you start to enjoy FPSC more once you start to dig into it's little ways

I emailed you the mesh in the correct folder (or you can just find the meshbank\Lights\ folder make a folder called "Nbt" in "meshbank" and drag and drop the "Lights" folder into it and it will work

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 21:25
Got your email thanks. I've placed the new streetlights in my level, they seem to be working so far. I've got to reinstall FPSC, as it keeps crashing on me (unrelated problem!). Once that's done, I'll take some screenies of your streetlights in-game to post here.

I game therefore I am.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2010 17:30
Update time. I finally managed to get the streetlights on the road outside the mansion looking right!

Huuuuge thanks to Nbt for providing the streetlight models and the know-how to get them properly lit up!

This next screenie is my in-game easter egg dedicated to Heltor (RIP)

Thanks go to Anayar for providing the custom packing crate models!

I game therefore I am.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2010 20:14
Double post again I'm afraid lol. I've updated the first post to reflect the progress and changes made so far.

I've also added credits to the people who have either helped me, or made some of the media that I have used.

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2010 00:22
Amazing how much more alive that screenshot looks when the light sources actually look like they are producing light. I love the way Bloom adds that subtle glare around the lamp also. Nice job bruce, look forward to your progress

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2010 01:55
Thanks! The whole idea behind the street lights was to get them looking like the orange sodium lights at night. Thanks to you, I finally achieved that!

Anyway, level 1 is pretty much finished, now onto level 2! I'm building the levels first, then after that, I need to start thinking about Title and End pages/screens, character voices, audio, scripting, and music. There's still a long, long way to go!

I haven't even thought about wether I'm going to release a demo or not!

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2010 02:04
Chuck all thoughts about demo's for now and just concentrate on your game.

Ignore the "where's the demo then" people and don't get sidetracked trying to please them. It is Your game so work at Your pace getting everything the way You want it

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2010 02:09
Once again, you give sound advice Nbt, thanks!

I game therefore I am.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 15:33
Bumped to ask a question;

I've been puzzling over something in the street scene that looks wrong, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I realised, the light markers for the street lights give off an orange light, but the illuminationent effect makes the head of the street light glow white. Is there anyway I can change the colour of the illuminationent to orange, so that it matches the colour of the light marker?

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 16:24
Ermm.. Sodium lights do not give off an orange light, they give off a subtle yellow light (newer high pressure ones are almost white in colour) and that's what colour the heads are glowing.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 16:29
Ok, I guess I'm just nit picking my own level, instead of just leaving it as it is! Don't know what made me think sodium lights glow orange

Back to working on level 2 then I guess lol

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 21:08
The main thing you need to do in the street scene, is actually reduce the light range a bit for each street light, so you get the pools of light effect common with street lighting (in my opinion at least)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:41:28
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:41:28