Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Dreams and Nightmares game (beta)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone,

In the past 5 months or so, I've been working on a platform game entitled "Dream and Nightmares". Currently, the game is made entirely by me except for the music and sound effects. As such I could only do 1 level but the game is more focused at the mechanics and what I am capable of doing as a Game Design Student.

It is currently entered in an indiePub competition which is where you will be able to download the game and try it out:

http://www.indiepubgames.com/game/Dreams_and_Nightmares

If you like the game, you can support it by registering, rating it and also saving it to your favorites by clicking on the star to the right of the game's rating.

Right now I have friends and colleagues helping me with music, sound effects and proper assets to make the game polished enough to be entered into GCAP.

Hope you all like it ^^
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Pretty fun. I wasn't sure how to get around the second giant moving rock though.

swis
DB_Newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Glad to hear that.

You get around the 2nd giant ball by dropping your light on the left side, hiding in the mid or right bush and turning your light on. The ball will go towards the light and when he has passed you, come out of hiding and continue on.

I assume you got stuck on that part? Or did you finally figured it out?
CocaCola
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2010 19:28
I didn't download it but I watched the video and it looks amazing!! Might I ask what program this was made in?

I want coke, not Pepsi!
DB_Newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2010 11:14 Edited at: 9th Aug 2010 11:15
It was made in DarkBasic Pro =D
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmm... I tried that, but the giant rock stopped in front of the bush...

swis
DB_Newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
In front of the bush you hide in?

Anyway, I'll try to give a clearer walkthrough:

- Turn your light off when you get to the puzzle so that the ball is on the right, immobile
- Drop your light on the left edge of the platform that the ball is on
- Keep it turned off and hide in the bush on the far right side, next to the ball
- While hiding, turn your light back on
- When the ball moves towards the light (which is on the opposite side of the platform where you are), wait for it to pass you before coming out of the bush

That's the solution. I hope that works. If that doesn't work then I'm baffled =/
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2010 19:04 Edited at: 10th Aug 2010 19:05
That's what I did the first time and it didn't work, but I later came back and tried and it was fine.
Oh, could you allow the user to change the resolution? It just looks a little weird on an LCD.
One last thing... I couldn't figure out how to quit from the game, esc didn't work like it said.

swis
DB_Newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah sorry I don't know how to allow players to change resolution.

But I'll try implementing that thanks.

Oh to quit from the game you need to pause the game via Enter, Quit then in the main menu go to exit game. Sorry I guessed I must have forgotten to update that ESC information.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I wondered how I quit the first time!

swis
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2010 13:36
This game looks fanastic, a really unqie concept, interesting and engaging challanges. I'd love to see this submitted for the Intel AppUp competition, it could be a winner!

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=173613&b=40 for more information, you could win a $5000 holiday, $1000 cash prize or a new netbook.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 13:42
I haven't played it myself, but the video looks very cool. I'm always looking for original gameplay-ideas, but I rarely find anything. Your game, on the other hand, focusses on this simple but great idea.
The only thing I personally would do different is the graphical aspect. In my opinion the 3D-graphics rather distract from the gameplay, while in a 2D-game you could realize a much more specific graphical style (like for example World of Goo did). Anyway, that's probably a matter of taste. Good work, keep it up and all that.

Softwizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2010 23:44
didn't work for me, I got this error:
Runtime error 3002- could not load sound at line 149

this is the version of DirectX on my pc:
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DB_Newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
@Daniel TCG

Thanks for the comment and the link. I'll look at that competition. I'm always trying to find new ways to get my game and myself out there =D

@Mr Kohlenstoff

Yeah, at first I couldn't get a professional 3D artist on board. So far, I worked as the Game Designer, Programmer and 3D Artist. Which explains the level of quality on the 3D assets. Also, I have never made a 2D game before which is why I made it in 3D. Currently I'm trying to create a 2D puzzle game and I'm already finding it difficult to code in simple functions =/

@Softwizz

I would suggest re-downloading it or installing the newest DirectX (which I believe is 10), because I've had others test it and it seems to work fine on theirs. But thanks for bringing this up ^^

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:53:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:53:03