Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Making an EXE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So basically I am wondering if anyone can help me make an exe that I can have people download off my website. I'm using a physics engine so I am assuming they would have to download that to, so is there a way to package all that together as one?
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2010 14:30
give more details?

it should look like the following:

in the same folder, you should have the .exe file (usually located at \\projects\\projectname\\projectname\\release\\), and the media (usually located at \\projects\\projectname\\projectname)

and that's it your exe should use the media without any problems, if your physics engine requires additional stuff, then you should also include it, for example, if it requires (a) dll(s), place it/them at the same location as your new exe

also, some people do not have the vc redistributable, nor the directX redistributable, so, for a full, commercial game, you must include the redistributables in the package and install them inside your installer or whatever

Greg_C
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah I have tried to run that exe and I get a message box that pops up with a bunch of symbols. not to sure what is happening but also I am probably going to have to give out the redistributable as well so how would I go about doing that? Also if I do give out the redistributable will it check there computer first to make sure they have it or not? I think the only thing that I am using is the Falcrum physics so what would I need to give out to the people that want to download it?
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2010 23:19
vc++ 2008 redistributable x86 (32 bit) : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en (you can google the 64 version if you want)

directX aug 2007 redistributable : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=cb7397f3-0949-487b-9247-8fee451bf952&displaylang=en

i believe those are the right versions.

also, using fulcrum requires some dlls (all dlls included with the plugin), put them in the same location as the exe

that's it, i think there is something you need to install in order to run games using physX (fulcrum), not really sure about it, ask matty on his thread (fulcrum physics plugin thread)

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2010 00:11
Hi Greg, since you are using PhysX(via Fulcrum), the user will need the NVIDIA system software to run your game. If they have a NVIDIA card they will be fine.
They may not have a NVIDIA card but still may be fine if they have ever run a game that uses PhysX.
If they dont have it they can get it from the same site I direct Fulcrum users to in the setup document, or you can include the exe in your project(32MB) and run the setup yourself.

When you call FulcrumPhy::start(), it will return false if they do not have it, you then proceed with one of the above options and call it again when done.

Its good timing actually as I am about to release my first game in a few weeks and I will be looking at this in detail, once I'm done I will put a document together explaining the options for release in more detail.

Greg_C
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys thanks for the quick responses. I am still confused on how to make it so when they click my exe it will download the things they need IE directX aug 2007 redistributable and if they do have it then it doesn't download it?

Other than that thanks for the links I will have to test it out tonight when I get back to my home computer with the project on it.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2010 00:37 Edited at: 9th Aug 2010 00:41
you can do this: locate the exe's (installers) somewhere and then, make an installer (or it could just be the game itself) that uses the winAPI function ShellExecute ( ) [http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb762153%28VS.85%29.aspx], this function will execute an exe.

so to make it tidy, it could look like this:
downloaded folder contains:
-a folder (could be called "data" for example)
-an installer made by you

data folder contains:
-game media folder
-the game exe
-folder for the redistributable's

so the installer that was made by you will simply use ShellExecute to run the redistributables, then copy the game exe and the media to the desired location (if you want it to look professional, let the user choose the path, google will help you on this)

but oh well, if you find this somewhat complex or time consuming, and you are just giving it to friends, you can just do it without an installer and make a .txt file the has the instructions

also, keep in mind that for a non-commercial release, as the redistributables are somewhat large in size, and the user may already have them, you can just put them as links, and let the user download them

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2010 00:39 Edited at: 9th Aug 2010 00:41
I still need to look into this properly myself, I think you may be able to use dbExecuteFile() to install directX redist etc, to open a users default web browser I think you can use dbOpenToRead() using the URL of the web page.

If anyone knows if this is correct let us know, thanks.

Edit: Hassan always one step ahead, thanks for the info

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2010 00:49 Edited at: 9th Aug 2010 00:50
beaten by 2 minutes, slowpoke!

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2010 00:56
Lol, it was one minute last time, I'm getting slower

Login to post a reply