Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / problem with tic, tac, toe. jerry lee ford jr tutorial

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hello everybody
I just got DBP and was making my way through "DarkBasic Programming for the absolute beginner by Jerry Lee Ford, Jr"
Perhaps some of you know it?

getting to the point...
Tic,Tac,Toe Project : Chapter 6
did the tutorial, begin program and it says "welcome to....press any key to continue" *press a key* "Thanks for playing press any key to quit" *press key* *close*

got his file off the companion site and loaded it up, it works as he described.

For the past 2 hours ive gone over these projects side by side, fixed a few things but still, same problem.

Sooooo I began to copy and paste his work over mine, 50 lines at a time and then run. Hopefully that way i could find the general area thats causing problems. Well now its an exact copy of his work, the entire thing has been pasted into my project. The problem remains

Just wondering if anybody else has had a similar problem, ive checked all the settings too, its an exact copy, just when you load my file up it says LETSPLAYOKBYE...anyone?
Zorkonian12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2010 04:07
Heyyyyyy... I'm learning from that same book! Cool!

And I was just about to start reading that tutorial. Thanks for the heads up!

I think it might be something to do with how old the book is and the version of DBPro you have. Some of the commands might have changed or else you have some sort of typo. Which seems unlikely since you used copy and paste.

Crabbages
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd do it all again but im way too excited to start pong. Hope it's just my mistake or that tutorial. I think analyze_results kept coming up blue while his didnt...im not sure anymore. You'll have to tell me if it works for you!
race ya!
Oboro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2010 18:41
Hey Ya'll Mine worked fine! I had to pick apart examples one by one though, I'm a pretty slow but thorough learner. I was so disappointed by the 3D fortune teller game which is little different from the regular fortune teller except a rendered cube that you print yes or no over lolz! Overall the book has been a eyeopener to just how much work you have to put into any program(I don't have programmers logic I'm afraid).

Space for rent.
Crabbages
Years of Service
User Offline
You showoff i guess i'll go over it again, i got another error while doing pong which is heartbreaking, i really wanted to play it.
heres mine

heres Mr Lee's

my error is the IF statement. "playeronepoints and 10 are incompatible" ...whats happened?

So Oboro what did you move onto? did the book leave you feeling competent? it's not me
badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
I cant' see the rest of your code, but I'm assuming that "PlayerOnePoints" is global. If so, then you might be reassigning it a string or something else that could cause that error. Try commenting out each of the function calls above to see if you can get it to work. If you comment out one of the functions and it runs, then look at that function and see if there is something in there that might be causing the problem.
Crabbages
Years of Service
User Offline
thankyou! , I'll remember that in the future. You brought my attention to global, I had everything down as INT when it should have been INTEGER. my own stupid fault. Another problem with the ball moving, the whole thing resets too quickly, it's a problem with his too but don't tell! It's time i do some problem solving of my own

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 20:34:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 20:34:51