Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / 2D Games Sprites look like 3D, when moving forward?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2010 01:07
Hi, im beginner with Darkbasic, and i want to make something cool.
I wanto 2d game look like 3D,

like in this video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYmYtpqCd48
So its rendering sprites to 3d?
How i do that?

Someone please..HELP!

Im the king.
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 16th Aug 2010 02:27
Since your a newbie to Darkbasic you won't be able to do that right away. It takes a lot of time and work to get coding skills to do a game like that. It may be done in 3D but you can do that in 2D also with several background images scrolling at different speeds.

To learn Darkbasic start with small projects and read the tutorials. Start with TDKs tutorials:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99497&b=10

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2010 09:27
If you use big images, then layering parallax like that is actually very easy, it can be done by just positioning and scaling layers of plains. It would actually take far longer to draw the layers than to program them.

Grog is right though, you should investigate the other aspects of game development, like character animation, control, and collision. The character sprite in that video is very well done, animation is a skill all on it's own, but it's not about the number of frames - consider how many frames of animation Super Mario had, and nobody seemed to mind too much.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
It says in the description that he used textured plains so that effect seems simple to achieve by moving positioning them at different distances from the camera and moving at different speeds as has already been said

The hard part about this is tweaking the speeds so that it looks as realistic
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2010 17:19
It might be possible to control the speeds by just using different Z depths - the only reason to actually move the plains when scrolling would be to exagerate the parallax effect, which might be the desired look. When I did something similar, I used quite a narrow field, like for the main screen I used a 4096x1024 plain, then the layers would be every 100 units or so, and the size of each plain would increase by 10 percent. If that was stretched out, then it might give that effect, meaning no need to move the plains.

It does depend on the game, and how it's constructed - when I did this it was quite a straightforward demo, using a big image for a mask, and a big image for each layer. The thing about that noir, monochrome art style, is that as .PNG textures those images will take up practically no disk space - my demo, with a mask, and 5 layers all at 4096x1024 weighed in at around 1mb, EXE included!.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah that sound like a good way to do it but in that video the planes are drfinately moving
Non Sequitur M
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2010 23:00
That is a very nice demo. That person/those people probably have years of experience. In the beginning you shouldn't worry yourself about extra graphics candy like parallax and anti-alias. Instead, focus on controlling simple movements and simple AI. Simple 4 axis top-down viewpoints are easiest to work with. Like Zelda 1 for NES. Although, I would forgo the RPG element, as complex leveling and item/level design require lots of complicated math, and careful planing.
Just going to let you know, my first few projects were just made of simple one color boxes to learn to allow smooth player control.

If life were like a box of chocolates, I'd know what I would get... The one that got dropped on the floor and put back in the box.

Iye nehvur yoose spehl chehk, ahn mie tippyng izz fiyne.
MikeRK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 17:35
Look at Isometric Projection,

It may seem a bit advanced for a newbie, but every newbie has to learn eventually.

To accomplish a 3D look in 2D games, you need to simulate depth, as people have said using parallax would work.

Look at other games that use 2D to create a 3D projection, and examine the relation between sprites, the backdrop etc.

It could be as easy as scrolling a background 0.5 units every time your ground scrolls 1 unit.

Mikey

::Hybrid Two::Binary Zoo::RGT Veteran::
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2010 07:31
Quote: "Simple 4 axis top-down viewpoints "

thats... 2 axises..
X and Y i suppose ^^

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
miso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2010 20:53 Edited at: 27th Aug 2010 20:58
Well, when I bought the box2d, I started to write a 2d "engine",
it contains an editor and a working example for parallax layers.

Unfortunately it uses a bunch of third party plugins (box2d, advanced sprites, ian's matrix1, d3d, and for the map editor: bluegui.

Its under construction, but still has a lot of working features, feel free to pick any snippets you like from my code, I only asks not to use our included media in your games. (though I dont think the code is for completely beginners)

(Hold down alt and move mouse to scroll the screen in the demo or the editor)

Source is here: http://fullplate.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

Picture is here:

No place like 127.0.0.1 .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 04:45:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 04:45:51