Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Problems with linking my libraries

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I reformatted my computer and now Im gettin linker errors with my VC++. I dled the august 07 SDK required for Dark and the paths are opened to VS. I was gettin linker error related to d3dx9.lib. I deleted the August SDK and reinstalled now its giving me a linker error to dxerr9.lib. With that, Im getting a windows error telling me its unable to start program: the system cant find the file specified. Not sure what the deal is. Anyone know what to do?

"Wisemen say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." - Michaelangelo
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Have you checked if those files are there on the hard disk at all? (In the lib directory that you set in VC++.) When you installed the SDK, did you install all components, including the runtime part?
Pog Mo Hone
Years of Service
User Offline
I believe so. I added them like I had before and they worked fine. I DLed the SDK from the Dark GDK Studio CD. Maybe its not workin right and I should do it from Microsoft?

"Wisemen say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." - Michaelangelo
Terrorist Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2010 02:09 Edited at: 17th Aug 2010 02:32
In the DarkGDK installation folder, there is a PDF detailing the installation of the API into visual studio. At the bottom are detailed instructions on how to go about linking visual studio to the DirectX SDK, and following them may very well help with your errors. If you've already done so I apologise.

Usually Visual Studio will complaining about missing files (especially relating to various Direct3D files) when the correct file paths are not set within Visual Studio itself, rather than the project.

EDIT:
By the by, I've literally just re-installed the GDK using the August 2009 DirectX SDK and got the same dxerr9.lib error. Just remembered, I solved this by going into my DirectX installation folder, going to the lib/x86 folder and finding the "DxErr.lib" file. I copied this and renamed it "dxerr9.lib". Stuff now works (just gotta go through the whole multiplayer.lib situation).

Could I possibly get a confirm on anyone else whose used this solution to the problem? It may cause errors down the line, so be careful.

AMD X2 6400+ (3.2GHz) // K9A2 Platinum 790FX Mobo // 2GB Corsair RAM 1066MHz // Powercolor HD4870 512MB OC'ed
Pog Mo Hone
Years of Service
User Offline
So I uninstalled VC++, Dark, and the August 07 SDK in this order. Now im getting multiple linker errors; 16 to be exact. The files are in place and everything seems to be where it should be. I just dont get it. And a majority has to do with the multiplayer.lib file. So, I will continue to tinker with it. It doesnt make any sense. Everything was working fine before I reformatted the computer. There really werent any extra modifications I can think of that I did to VC++ before adding Dark. I did exactly what I did recently; DLed VC++, opened it before anything else, DLed Dark, and then the SDK......augh....

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't you happen to have (the remains of) a newer version of the DirectX SDK on the computer? The linker errors you mentioned so far look like the system is trying to reach a later SDK version. By the way, I think the correct order for installation would have been: Visual C++ (start and compile something once), then the DirectX SDK, and last Dark GDK. Then check if the wizards and library and header paths are correctly set in Visual Studio. I reinstalled my computer just last week, in this order and it works, but that doesn't help you unfortunately... If nothing else works, there is somewhere a thread about how to compile a dummy multiplayer library to make Dark GDK work with a later DirectX SDK, but that solution should not be needed if you installed the August 2007 version. Sorry that I have no better ideas.
Pog Mo Hone
Years of Service
User Offline
Ya i actually have two other dates of SDKs. But this was never a problem before, I had like 5 dates DLed. Hmmm, well I could try deleting the near versions. Ill get back to ya!

Pog Mo Hone
Years of Service
User Offline
That worked. I think what it was that when I had the other SDK versions they were directed towards my VS IDE, not VC++. So when I later installed VC++, the one needed SDK for Dark was solely through VC++. Thanks for the heads up Mireben.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-02 08:53:43
Your offset time is: 2024-07-02 08:53:43