Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Newcomers F.A.Qs not helpful due to out of date links

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm new here so I read the stickied "Newcomers FAQ" post. I went to click on the tutorials in the post and found that every tutorial link I clicked on was 404 site not found.

It would be very nice and much appreciated if a kindly mod could edit that post so the broken links were removed (or replaced) and then updated the FAQ section to reflect questions asked in 2009-2010 instead of 2003.
Avo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2010 23:23 Edited at: 24th Aug 2010 23:24
Here's a tutorial that should get you started, it says its for dark basic but it does work with dark basic pro last time i checked.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2030&page=3d_tutorial_index

Edit: Woo! I can post without waiting an hour now as well!
Fangs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2010 19:09 Edited at: 25th Aug 2010 19:18
@ Avo

I'm running dbpro 7.5 on a Vista machine and the tutorial does not work.

Out of all the tutorials I've looked at in the TGC forums, most are broken links or are incomplete or are so old that they won't work.

In 'Hands On DarkBASIC Pro' vols 1 and 2 the examples some times work, some times work half a--ed, or don't work at all.

This is a lot of help to a NOOBIE.

The Fangman
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 25th Aug 2010 20:02 Edited at: 25th Aug 2010 20:05
TDKs tutorials are better kept up and they are a must-see for newbies.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99497&b=10

Quote: "Out of all the tutorials I've looked at in the TGC forums, most are broken links or are incomplete or are so old that they won't work."

Not that it's an excuse but I'd rather everybody at The Game Creators work on improving Darkbasic Pro instead of rewriting old tutorials every time they make a new update.

Quote: "In 'Hands On DarkBASIC Pro' vols 1 and 2 the examples some times work, some times work half a--ed, or don't work at all."

Any time you use a book to learn programming when it first comes out it'll be compatible but after that the more updated the program becomes the less compatible the book is. That's why there are new dictionaries every year to add new words, new schoolbooks to add new discoveries, and new programming books to keep up with Darkbasic Pro.

It's not just the book The Game Creators support it's all of them. The book I got my Dad last year I had to go through it with him to fix some of the code examples that had errors. It's just part of life as a programmer.

This is the book if you're interested:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1598632876/ref=oss_product

Lost Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the links.

I also found a pdf file somewhere that is helping me learn.

Hopefully a wandering mod will make edits to the stickied post in question so that other newbies won't come in and wonder where the learning materials went.

I like the language so far and the community is pretty friendly (you've no idea how much I appreciate the friendliness).
Fangs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2010 02:43
@ Lost Dragon

Search here for TDK_Man. He has a passle of good tuts, all geared towards the beginner. The tuts range from the basics to writing menus for your game, to particles and sprites.

The Fangman
Igglepud
Years of Service
User Offline
I have TDK's tuts and they are great. Probably the same PDF you have.

www.dustinmcmurry.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 20:23:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 20:23:18