Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Download 3d studio's max for free - like a trial

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2003 19:15
I am thinking about buying 3D STudio max but i want to try it out first, if possible does anyone know where ican get a free triial version?

Thanks -
Andrew

My game will make sure Final Fantasy will never be forgotten.
Remember me because my game will be in the shops in a year or 2.
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2003 20:35
i don't think there's such a think why don't you check out discreet.com?

-john D.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2003 20:40
There is no Trial or Demo to 3DS Max, but if you wanna see how it is and what it is like, then Download GMax(on the discreet website).

Although before you ask, GMax models can not b e usd comercially with out buying the comercial liscense(which isn't cheap to say the least)

A Dream is a Dream unless it is Real
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2003 20:58
personally i think rhino 3 is a good 3D editor

-john D.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2003 22:33
there is currently a download of 3D Studio Max 6 on the discreet site on the Max6 subsite... there is also an option to purchase a 3D Studio Max Demonstration CD.
the download of Max6 is 1.8Gb full 583mb program only

pizzaman56
Years of Service
User Offline
i ordered the cd. it was free
pizzaman56
Years of Service
User Offline
hey guys there is an alternative to 3dsmax. its called ms visual basic 6!
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2003 01:04
WHAT KINDA IDIOT ARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3dsMax is a few thousand dollars, VB6 is a programming language not a 3d modeling program You idiot!!!!!!!!

Now if oyu are gonna continue doing this, show some VB work and stop talking about VB you incohernet festering ass wart!!!

(note to others... lost my temper )

A Dream is a Dream unless it is Real
pizzaman56
Years of Service
User Offline
settle down snake..... I can teach vb if u want to. vb is SO easy. i propose VB WARS! start a new post about it snake. now get OUT!
...Next.....
btw Im 12
Ibrahim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2003 01:37
hey how much does VB cost in ££££'s and im 12 as well

All i want to be is a mod
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2003 02:06
When do we get to ignore named users?

Pizzaman, you're diluting the useful information in this forum, and you haven't even been here 24 hours yet. I don't know if you've noticed, but you're not funny, and you're only mildly irritating. We've had much worse than you, and we cope.

Not that it will mean much to you, but I might call on Megaman to bring his troops over from Palestine to pay you a visit.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2003 02:09
Andrew, I'm not sure if you're aware of how much 3ds Max will cost.

I have a 30 day trail version of Max, it came with my 3d world subscription. There are trial versions out there.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2003 05:36
Quote: "hey guys there is an alternative to 3dsmax. its called ms visual basic 6!"

Rofl. I can't beieve he just said VB was an alternative to 3ds Max, one lets you write programs the other lets you make 3D models. VB can't do what Max does and Max can't do what VB does, that statement was rediculous. lol.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2003 11:10
Hey Pizzaman, I bought VB instead of Max like you recommended. I can't find some of the options, can you help...

Where are the nurbs primitives?
The animation toolbar is missing, where is it?
Bones and deformers, where are they?
Particle emitters seem to be missing, do I have to upgrade?
Lighting, where's the lighting? I want a touch of ambience and specular and they're just not there?
How do I edit my vertices?

There's a few more problems, but if you can just help me out with these for now. After spending a few hundred pounds I'm a bit disappointed that the manual doesn't tell where to find these tools.

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2003 16:55
lol

Maybe he meant you could make a 3d modelling package in VB, which is true. I seriously doubt HE personally could make anything to Rival MAX tho

Quikly Studio Pro. Soon. Honest.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2003 17:00
Possibly but that would defeat the purpose though because you're paying for you having to work (if that makes any sense).

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Andrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2003 21:21
3D studio max is a to much, i can buy it for only £400- £480

What are you talking about, £1000????

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2003 21:51
@BatVink...why did u take the advice of a 12 year old who doesnt know what hes talking about...3DS MAX is a 3d modelling and Render Studio used by profesional developers, Visual Basic is a programming environment it includes IDE Compiler and Design tools but they are very different things...3DS Max is a 3d modeling tool, VB does nothing of that sort unless you program it to...and VB is crap for anything thats not windows based because its slow...

@Pizzaman...You obviously dont know how to program VB because you dont know the difference between it and 3DS Max...kepp your ignorant thought to yourself...besides we dont care about your VB skills i was 12 when i learned C++ and VBs far from the level of C++(in my opinion)

@The rest of you...if you sign up they will wait for a year or so and then send you a cd with a demo but that may be true that you can download one, i havnt been to the site for a long time...

Visual Programming Studio ORANGE
Replacement IDE for Dark Basic Professional...
(Will Be Availeable When This is Removed)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2003 22:32
Quote: "i ordered the cd. it was free"

the CD has a $19.99 p&p charge worldwide, plus you MUST pay with a creditcard capable of a $4,000 credit because unless you tell them not to within 30-days they credit the account for the full $3,200 of the program and supply you your code by Next-Day mail.

very doubtable a kid/teen would be able to do such a transaction.
especially as you must give them a phonenumber (landline) which they can contact and speak to you on about what you will be using the programs for, if your in education or fulltime work, if this is for commercial or non-commerical use, etc...

this is the same with almost every software available on the net of this nature.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2003 22:58
Eddie...sorry, I have a very dry sense of humour

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2003 01:46
Get Gmax, its like 3dsmax 4 but with out a renderer, and its free but you can only use if for shareware products. Then get the tempest plugin so you can export to MD3.

I think you should get milkshape and character studio, its all you really need if your gonna model 4 dbpro, they are far much easier to use and cheap

And i believe the exports are 100% compatible with dbpro, you have to do loads of stuff to get exports from 3dsmax to work correctly in dbpro.

Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2003 02:41
Quote: "and its free but you can only use if for shareware products"

there is a quote somewhere from the tech advisor for gmax stating that nowhere in the ELUA does it say you cannot use it for commercial purposes nor will you be charged for doing such.

they've just included in subsequent versions more stopgap measures to make sure those loopholes people have already found are closed.

Andrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2003 22:40
I used milkshape and all i can say is that it sucks.
If you are looking to make a game with very small features then yes go with milkshape but if you are someone who wants to make a great character then go 3D studio max.

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2003 16:41
Maybe that's true Andrew but like has been said before, not many of us can afford £2500 for 3D Studio Max 5. Don't even consider using warez either, not with a piece of modelling software

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2003 19:04
Quote: "I used milkshape and all i can say is that it sucks."

oki that kinda hurts ... and mete might be upset to hear that too.
Milkshape is a good modelling program, so is Wings3D, Aztec3D and JTEdit ... they might not have all the fancy features of Max.
But at the end of the day i'll bet you $50 that most people here don't know it enough for it to actually be worth it.

Hell I've used it professionally for over a year and i'd still say there are some things i'm more comfortable doing in Milkshape.
It really comes more down to prefference, but if you can't achieve the same results with less tools then sorry you're not an artist - end of story.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2003 19:21
@Andrew

3D Studio MAX costs $5000 ($500 even on a student deal!), MilkShape costs £12

MilkS is excellent value for what it does, and honestly, it does pretty much all that you need - polygon creation and manipulation, UV Mapping, Material Editing, animation, bone creation. Not many DBP users really need the power of 3DSMAX.

kingius
Years of Service
User Offline
Im with Andrew, Milkshape is pants, instead, get Cinema4D from this months 3D world magazine, V6 is on the cover and its the full version except it cant render above 640x480 or something like that.
Andrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2003 20:35
Someone tell me this then, ok this website address sells 3D studio max for less than £500 yes Just under £500
http://www.journeyed.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe?T1=94664843NF&UID=2003092311285806&GEN2=OVERTURE&FNM=00&GEN9=index2.html&UREQA=2&UREQB=1&UREQC=3&UREQD=4&TRAN85=Y

Well it cant be a students, LOL you got ripped bad!!!

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2003 21:09 Edited at: 1st Oct 2003 21:09
Quote: "for less than £500 yes Just under £500"

Please re-read my post. I said $500 (US Dollars), not £500. There is a big difference. Either way, it is still a great deal of money.

Andrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2003 21:17
Where can i buy it, the website i gave you, it wont send it to United Kindom

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2003 22:31
What are you all going to do in a high end package that's not going to grind your game down to a few frames per second?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2003 23:38
andrew, read carefull the top bar of the website you posted

"JourneyEd.com - Academic Software Discounts!"

in other words... for STUDENTS ONLY.
if you add to this the fact that the Student Version aparently you may not make commercial software with - although i cannot varify this, i was told this by a reliable person.
and you may want to take note that this site is for American Students Only - they don't retail outside of North America.

seriously though, even for a student $500 is hardly a small chunk of change no matter who you are. Christ i remember spending about half of that on a week-long holiday as a student, i mean you crack up all the bills, rent against earning a pittance and also having to have time to goto classes - i was almost always broke as a student.
what the hell could any of you need with the full version of max anyways ... download gmax and leave it at that.

Andrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 00:06
Gmax?

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 01:09
Quote: "I used milkshape and all i can say is that it sucks.
If you are looking to make a game with very small features then yes go with milkshape but if you are someone who wants to make a great character then go 3D studio max."

It's sickening how stupid some people are.

Quote: "i ordered the cd. it was free "

Since when was anything free.

Quote: "settle down snake..... I can teach vb if u want to. vb is SO easy. i propose VB WARS! start a new post about it snake. now get OUT!
...Next.....
btw Im 12 "

It's sickening how stupid some people are.

------------------------------------------
I always wonder to myself if I was like this when I first joined the forums.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 16:30
Quote: "I always wonder to myself if I was like this when I first joined the forums."

Been like this for as long as I can remember. Without turning this into a nostalgia thread - back in the "good old" days we had the likes of Brice who's fantastical imagination was borderline insanity. Thankfully the poor bastards at the blitz forum have to put up with his dellusions now Not that we haven't gained a number of replacements though... *sighs*

Cheers,

Rich

The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.
Your brain's just like any other appliance: it works better if you plug it in...
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 00:59 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2003 01:00
This forum gives me such a bad headache. So many idiots Take economics, my god, learn what the hell your getting into before claiming everything is free and cheap.

You people really need to get your NEEDS and WANTS straight. I know half of you are 12 and arent gonna be dishing out 5000 bucks for 3DS and if your parents will, then,,,good god your a lucky bas****!

Just seeing Andrews sig portrays his maturity level pretty well. Not dissing DBP one bit, but your not gonna come up with FFXI, sorry. I can tell you have never modelled before. Even if you get MAX your not gonna be making the next Tidus in 10 mins.

Lost temper

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
We need a texture artist!
If your interested email me - Johnrocs@aol.com
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 01:49
you mean Bryce, Rich? else i'm not sure who your on about.
totally amazing guy with code, but certainly become alot more recluse since he lost his job poor bugger
still talk to him over msn from time to time ... seems alot of guys are being caused obsolete since the introduction of C# over VisualBasic, just as many redundant because the market just can't really support small companies anymore so alot are being canned.

the software industry has really peaked for this decade, gonna be in a decline for a while by the looks of it - means those of us left are needing to learn to multitask & learn more skills just to make sure we're still viable and valueable.
kinda wish Dext had more time and Kyle (TDBoy) i know they're seen over at RGT from time to time, but very little ... not enough to really be as well known as they once were.

atmosphere certainly isn't what it used to be though

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 04:48
Yeah that's the one. The minister, lawyer, soldier, etc etc. Never coded anything significant in DB that he showed so I doubt your "amazing coder" part utterly. Highly amusing and sharp wit, but a bit of a knobjockey overall.

Cheers,

Rich

The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.
Your brain's just like any other appliance: it works better if you plug it in...
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 04:51
I know I was this dumb about mid-way. I was nice when I first came Now I'm a semi-nusense

Got a knack for finding secrets??? Jingot Racing --- A new brand of Racing --- Only from Nightwatch Studios
"hey, it's tomorrow" --- Hamish
Andrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 11:19
Well i would just like to say "you people are always letting people down ya know"

i have great skills in all sorts of things.

Bet i could make the next tidus, well within a month maybe.

Give me a little cred....

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 13:49
Andrew, we look forward to seeing your first commercial-level game. Please post a link as soon as it's available, so we can judge for ourselves. Just a small demo will do, you obviously won't want to give the full game away for free.

kingius
Years of Service
User Offline
FYI there is a trial version of 3ds max, it is on discreets web site.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 15:52
Rich i don't have the code anymore, but he was the first one to show working multiplay aside from DBS.
he was the first to show memblock mesh deformation, he did it within 2days of the 1.10 trial release ... which i thought was pretty amazing at the time.
he also made a BVH animation importer, with his ballman demo which i believe is on 1.08 demo's CD.

he's a bit of a maverick coder, only problem is he never really did anything that the community would notice and not often enough for people to really take note.
taught me exactly howto use the memblocks though within a matter of a day, and i'd been strugling with them for like 2weeks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 14:34:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 14:34:58