Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Lag Bomb

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 20:05
Okay, just recently, I've had an idea for a power-up/weapon if you were playing game (online or not):

A Lag Bomb

All gamers dread lag, so why not create something that causes lag? Lag not only happens with online multi-player games, it happens to on single-player games.

My question is "How would you try to implement this lag?"

For a single player game:
I would try to just create a section of code that just takes up a lot of resources, and does nothing but causes lag.

Just what sort of function would you use?

The only Idea I have is just to use the DarkGDK drawing functions to draw a lot of random stuff to a bitmap that would never be shown.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Now for a multi-player game:
Would I want to do what I did with the single player game method, or should I just skip sending a few packets?

Well, let me hear your ideas. I do want to implement something like this into one of my games sometime.

http://ref.darkgdk.us/ <- Online DarkGDK Refernece. More content coming soon.
Pilz X Schizo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 20:29
The first idea that poped in my head was to just slow down the timer system. If the game is using the Sync method for timing then just set it lower. If you are using a real time, timer based movement system then you would just have to make it take longer to do each action, for example if X was moving 6 pixels a second then change it to 2 pixels a second. I'm not sure if this will give more of a slow-motion effect or a lag effect but I suppose they are kinda the same.

The second idea was to maybe skip every other draw cycle so things get a little jumpy in their movements, I think that may give the effect of lag as well.

Overall I think trying to do a bunch of things in the background to actually slow down the system may be the wrong way to go about it, I think it would be better to simulate lag then to actually lag out the system.

Nice subject by the way.
marlou
Years of Service
User Offline
Enable shadows in DarkGDK and some Fx. And you get additional effects for lag effect in your game.

And i also recommend what Pilz X Schizo said. Make the character move slower.
Or you could implement a wait process where the rendering and controls(if you also want it to lag) will have to wait for some time before they function.

When a person has nothing but a dream, can he dare to dream.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-02 08:57:48
Your offset time is: 2024-07-02 08:57:48