Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Game Basics

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2010 02:31
Could someone tell me what stages a game would go throw in DBPro from start to finish? For example, I want to make a game, what would I do first? then what would I do? then what?

Please Please PLEASE! could someone help?

If There Is A Problem, Find The Question.
Lee Stevens 1st September 2007
Lee Stevens
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2010 03:00
Anyone??

Wysardry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2010 03:11
You need to be more specific if you want a useful answer. It depends on what type of game you want to create, for one thing.

If you aren't sure yet, you could watch the following videos while you think about it:-

How to make Pong
Frogger 3D
Lee Stevens
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2010 03:18
Woops, the type of game im thinking about creating is a 3rd Action/platformer.

Wysardry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2010 03:55
I don't know of any tutorials on 3D platform games, but there is a series of them on making a 2D platform game in the newsletters, starting with issue 62.
AmbulanceGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2010 17:38
Is this your first time using a programming language? I actually found that Game Maker helped me learn a lot of programming and game design concepts without having to really program. I'm working on my first DBPro project and have found it to be a lot easier then I thought, once I found some working tools to go with it, and I'm willing to bet that using Game Maker helped me to think in a way that made using DBPro easy. You may want to check it out if you start to think you're not getting the hang of DBPro. Make a game or two with Game Maker then come back and you may find it a lot easier to work with.
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2010 05:13
Yep, I agree. Gamemaker is where I started. You can download a free version, and the gamemaker website has a ton of great tutorials. Doesn't support 3d objects though.so when you get to the point of where you think you can begin more advanced stuff switch to DB.
Lee Stevens
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2010 16:58
what the hell is gamemaker :S

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2010 19:15
Well, assuming that you can program; The 1st step I would take would be to write down everything that you want your game to do down to the tiniest detail.

Next, I'd start laying down some code, using basic primitives and doodles for graphics (As I can't draw for toffee, lol);

If you can't program, then there are lots of handy tutorials to look at on this forum. That should point you in the right direction.

And I think 3D Games Maker is like a point and click game creation tool for children (But I'm not sure, maybe www.google.com knows more about it than I do?)

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2010 19:55
Quote: "And I think 3D Games Maker is like a point and click game creation tool for children"

Got a chuckle out of that one.

GameMaker Link:
http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/

So many games to code.......so little time.
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2010 20:04
@LBFN:

I was getting confused with this >link<

Wysardry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2010 05:01
Quote: "Gamemaker is where I started. You can download a free version, and the gamemaker website has a ton of great tutorials. Doesn't support 3d objects though."

The Pro version of Game Maker 8 supports 3D objects via its markup language. You can't use the drag n drop editor for them though.
bfrnhout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2010 23:09
To Lee Stevens

The basic idea of making a game is simple. I do not know if this is going up for 3D games but it work generaly for 2D games

The setup is like this:
1. Prepare all the variables you need for local and global.
2. load all the graphics, sound and or music
3. (If you want to use it) run the intro screen.
4. Loop the main menu (Button) screen
Button screen can be e.g. Start game/Info/Quit
5. loop the game from where you call all the subs/function
that needed to work in you game.
6. Make all the subs or function you need
7. If you want you can make here the info

thats a little bit how to do it. Its pretty short but ist the main steps you need.
And a good idea what the game is and how it wil be used.
Alse keep a good rem is you code. So you know what you are doing. And if you later come back in that code you can read fast to see what you are doing there.

Also keep the timing of your program in mind. Some times it wil happend that you are doing to much in you program that the player is missing information on the screen. Try to keep the frame rate as stedy as possible.

I hope you have something on this.

Games is live so to live do the games

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 22:27:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 22:27:13