Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Sparkys allowobjectscaling, update object problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 10:21
Sorry guys, but this one has been driving me NUTS!!! I decided it's time to stop using hidden objects as bullets and switch to spherecasting hoping things would be faster and more accurate. I have to scale my enemies a good bit, and after I scale them I use sc_update object so 'n so. Thing is that it doesn't seem to update the scaling even when I scale the object before calling the update. I can make it work with sc_allowobjectscalling, but it's slower.

Any help is much appreciated and thanks a lot!!!
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 18:14
Quote: "I can make it work with sc_allowobjectscalling, but it's slower."

That is the only way that you can accurately collide with a scaled object using Sparkys.

An alternative is to re-scale the enemies in a modeling program. Another alternative is to use sc_raycast (recommended).

I thought you might be able to scale the object within DBP and then save the object with the new scaling, but I tried it, and it doesn't work.

So many games to code.......so little time.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2010 06:55 Edited at: 31st Aug 2010 06:56
You could try my function to scale the object using vertexdata, I think that would probably stick without the sc scaling command.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=174830&b=6

EDIT: Also, as LBFN suggested, raycasting is what you want - spherecasting is used more for sliding collision.

Latest progress: Fog of War implemented; frustrated by pathfinding >.>
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2010 10:19
LOL, sorry, I was using raycast. But anyhow, I figure that the most efficent way would be to scale it in a 3d moedeller, which by the way I have no experience in besides 3d world studio, so which one "free" would you suggest?

The thing that through me off was that in sparkys help file for sc_allowobjectscaling it says that you only need this if you plan on scaling the object after you call sc_setupobject
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2010 16:49
Use (and love) Blender. Truespace 7 is also a good one that used to be commercial but I think has gone free recently.

Latest progress: Fog of War implemented; frustrated by pathfinding >.>
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2010 16:58 Edited at: 31st Aug 2010 17:06
Wings 3D is free. I haven't used it in a long time, but many here have mentioned it.

Quote: "The thing that through me off was that in sparkys help file for sc_allowobjectscaling it says that you only need this if you plan on scaling the object after you call sc_setupobject"

You setup the object with sparkys, use the sc_allowobjectscaling command, scale it and then sc_updateobject.

You stated earlier
Quote: "I can make it work with sc_allowobjectscalling, but it's slower."
What do you mean by it is slower? There is nothing slow about using the scaling features of sparkys that I have seen.

Very simple example showing sparkys scaling:

So many games to code.......so little time.
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2010 22:10
It says it in the help file for sc_allowobjectscaling that it is slower, and I'd be doing it for all of my enemies. I don't know by how much, but I assumed to try and make the program as efficent as I could.

I downloaded truespace and it looks like it only supports 2d? I suppose I'll try blender, but I heard it's pretty hard to learn to start out.

I tried to scale my models in frag motion, but when I appended other objects and played them it always makes the first animation completely warp and stretch SO MUCH TO LEARN!!!

Thanks for the help again!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 22:35:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 22:35:37