Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DB-Pro vs FPSC Quality vs Speed, which should I choose?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2010 02:55
I'm currently using FPSC, but I feel so limited when it comes to what I really want out of my game. But it's so easy to make a decent game in about a month. Now I know DB-Pro will take some time to learn, but correct me if I'm wrong, if I stick to it, I'm thinking I can make a lot better games than I can with FPSC.

I remember when I first heard about FPSC, it seemed like a dream come true. so I waited a long while, and FPSC bonanza came out, and I bought it asap. but once I actually used it I learned how little I can do. It gets more and more amazing with every update, but there will always be handicaps to a drag and drop game engine.

So know I'm starting to think, do I keep making games that can never be what I want but hey it was easy, or do I sit down learn some code, and make my own game from scratch, and finally make what I see in my head. It will be a lot harder, modeling and animating and coding. But I think it may be worth it, is it?

we can't stop here! this is bat country!
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2010 04:08
I think it's worth it. Programming is a useful skill, and FPSC can only make FPS games after all. You've got to get bored of those eventually.

DBP is free, so just try it out for a while and see what you think.

Latest progress: Fog of War implemented; frustrated by pathfinding >.>
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2010 05:57
Me personally, I like dbp better then fpsc. Altho i use both, As you can make levels with one and import into the other. There is some great addons for dbp. Like darklights, dark ai, And physics. The language its self for making a game is very easy.

Faster More stable And fun

======================================

GreenDixy Productions http://GreenDixy.Com
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 16th Sep 2010 06:04
Yes, you will make better games with Darkbasic Pro than with FPSC. With Darkbasic the only true limitation is yourself. When you get it check out TDKs Tutorials first.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99497&b=10

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2010 05:48
To get started, you could even work with the FPSC source code. It was written in DBPro after all.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2010 06:44 Edited at: 17th Sep 2010 06:45
I don't recommend that. 15,000 lines of spaghetti is what that thing is (see Grog's sig )

GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2010 12:00
actually its 46922 lines of spaghetti mmmmm spaghetti!

======================================

GreenDixy Productions http://GreenDixy.Com
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2010 16:35
Oh. Been a while since I looked at it

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2010 19:12
Fair enough.

Still, it makes the point that DBPro is as flexible as you want to be.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 22:27:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 22:27:21