Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK commands

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
is there anywhere in the internet a website where all dark gdk commands are listed?
it would help me alot.
thx for every link.
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Just look in the DarkGdk.h file, it list all the commands. Also the help file list most of them.
UnreconizedPro
Years of Service
User Offline
thx, will check it out soon
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2010 21:47 Edited at: 18th Sep 2010 21:48
yes, see the headers for a list of them, but if you want description, there is no FULL documentation for it, but you can find 75%~ of the functions in the documentation file (GDK directory\\documentation\\somename.chm)

UnreconizedPro
Years of Service
User Offline
if i see it correctly, Vs is just needed to write down the scripts for dark gdk, what i want to sy is, i do not need c++ commands i just need dark gdk commands, isn´t it ?
so VS is just the input for dark GDK ?
thx for a answer
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
No, you don't see it correctly. Visual Studio is a C++ compiler, not just a text editor that you need to write a "script". (For that you could use the Windows Notepad.) And Dark GDK is not a script either, it is a collection of functions and classes which actually extend the C++ language.

You will definitiely not get away without learning C++, and learning it quite well. Dark GDK only handles the graphics, sound, animation, etc. part, but you have to write the framework of your whole game in C++. To design and implement a large-scale game, or even a middle-sized one, requires quite a bit of general C++ knowledge and practice.
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
I definitely agree with Mireben, you should learn ALOT of c++, and some algebra and trigonometry would help to.
Programming games is not easy, but it's great fun.
UnreconizedPro
Years of Service
User Offline
i am going to learn c++ also, i just tought vs ist just there to write the dark commands cause dark has got other commands than c++, isn´t it ?
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Not really honestly, all DarkGDK is are graphics commands, but without knowing C++, implementing those fuctions is difficult because they rely on c++ to actually make a game out of it.
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2010 12:10 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2010 12:11
Quote: "dark has got other commands than c++, isn´t it ?"

Yes, but what we call "commands" are actually functions coded in C++. With Dark GDK you are using functions which have been coded by somebody else (TGC). These functions extend the C++ language but they do not replace it in any way.

I wanted to make a comparison with the Dark Basic and "general Basic" language elements to make you better understand, but I don't know if you have been using any Dark Basic before. So let me just say that if you don't know any C++ then you won't even be able to declare a variable or an array, or write a "for" loop or call a function, because this is all general language syntax which has nothing to do with Dark GDK, but which is very necessary to write a working program.

Conclusion: you'd better learn the basics of C++ before you even start experimenting with Dark GDK. Or at the very least, learn the two together. You can't postpone C++ after Dark GDK, it's the other way around. Anyway, if you really start learning them then you will soon see what I'm talking about.
UnreconizedPro
Years of Service
User Offline
i just was wondering cause there is a command i saw in a video and it was called:

MoveCameraByTheArrowKeys

and i didn´t have seen thi in c++ so i just tought there a spezial dark commands
UnreconizedPro
Years of Service
User Offline
i just was wondering cause there is a command i saw in a video and it was called:

MoveCameraByTheArrowKeys (or something like this)

and i didn´t have seen thi in c++ so i just tought there a spezial dark commands
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats a function someone else made using C++, it's not a DarkGDK command.
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
I would honestly just do Dark Basic dude, if you have no programming experience it's gonna be hard to figure out c++ and DarkGDk at the same time.
UnreconizedPro
Years of Service
User Offline
i can do it^^
i worked with 2 different game programming softwares and got skills in them.
ON had the scripting language "Lite C"
afaik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2010 18:28
http://wps.aw.com/aw_gaddis_games_1/114/29318/7505573.cw/index.html

This is the quick reference pdf to the listed book. It is NOT full but for a beginner it may be of some aid.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 11:42
I don't understand why people use to discourage newcomers with all the C++ stuff.
It is not needed to know C++ to start with DGDK.

Knowing simple C is enough to start, just some basics, the C language particularities, and the C syntax.

For example, this is the 1st code example from the link that afaik just posted:

Now there is not a single C++ line in that example. All you can see is C language.
DGDK can be programmed in C with a top-down methodolgy, very much like DBPro basic language. And you can go very far only with that.

It is not strictly needed to apply the C++ powerful features, although in the long run you'll understand the C++ advantages regarding maintainability and code structuration, and you will be willing to use and apply them.

For the compiler, C and C++ are the same language, so it is up to the programmer to go either way. You can go C and directly translate any DBPro code, or you can go C++ declaring classes and all the object oriented stuff.
This makes DGDK powerful, because of the intrinsic C/C++ features.

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 12:43 Edited at: 24th Sep 2010 12:44
for (int radius = 50; radius <= 200; radius += 50)

that's actually c++, in c you cant define the variable inside the for statement

well, if you are on the path of learning C++, the beginning is just C with minor differences, so, you can't advising someone to learn C when he can use C++ to achieve what he want

for example, if you learn C, then decided to move to C++, you will need to read the chapters from the beginning to get some minor changes, but if you start with C++, you will just learn the same things but in the C++ way, not "more complicated" or "harder" at all, well at least until you reach the OOP stage, you'd be knowing (almost?) everything in C, in the c++ style (the for statement above is a good example of what i am saying, if you learn C first, you'd get used to define the variable before the for, it makes code look a little bit messy)

Yes, you can program with GDK using C and not C++, but why? i see no point actually, you might not need the OOP and templates and the C++ stuff, but why get used to C and after that move to C++ and try to get used to new habits when you can go learn C++ straight away?

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually I didn't differentiate between C and C++ when I answered the OP's questions. During programming I don't really think about it whether that for loop that I'm writing is C or C++ syntax. I've only been trying to point out that the statement "I do not need c++ commands I just need dark gdk commands" was absurd.
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with Mereben, C and C++ are so similar that you might as well learn C++ and its not the language we're debating, it's the fact that you can't NOT learn C++ and be successful in writing DarkGDK programs. You probably won't even be able to figure out how to install it. IMO programming games is not a good way to start programming, I would do regular programming instead to learn the basics.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-02 08:42:24
Your offset time is: 2024-07-02 08:42:24