Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / other file instead of

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
is there another file typ i can use for a level instead of .dbo?
and what is the different in dark gdk between a level and a terrain?
a terrain also can be a level.
can i also use .x or is .map also working ?

thx for every answer.
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
I use .x for all my levels. Just make it right in the modeling program.

The ideal way to make a level IMO is to use a map editor that loads .x entities, then you have alot more control.

But theres no reason you can't design an entire level using a single .x file and then adjusting the limbs in the file to control the level.
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2010 10:27 Edited at: 19th Sep 2010 10:28
Quote: "what is the different in dark gdk between a level and a terrain?"

Depends on what you call "level". For me, a level is a scenario: the collection of all objects, the whole environment that you use to represent the game environment. This can contain a terrain and can contain other object models.

A terrain, on the other hand, is a special type of object which has been invented to represent ground in your game, including hills, valleys... generally, the landscape. The terrain is usually composed of a lot of triangles and height information for each vertex, to build up the ground, and one or more textures to cover the ground.

The file type actually depends on what modelling program you use to create your environment. The dbo is the "native" file format of Dark GDK but it can also load other formats, like X and 3ds, which are useful if you want to import models created by modelling programs which do not know the dbo format.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-02 08:43:35
Your offset time is: 2024-07-02 08:43:35