Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK features

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
what features does dark GDK have?
is it able to create realtime ragdolls for characters?
and is it able t create some really good looking games like crysis(i know good programming skills) with very high vertecis count of a model, because i saw some previews of dark GDK and the characters looks like Playstation 2 graphic, so are more vertecis able to do or why do TGC just show so lowpoly characters?

thx for answering
Fatal Berserker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "and is it able t create some really good looking games like crysis(i know good programming skills) with very high vertecis count of a model, because i saw some previews of dark GDK and the characters looks like Playstation 2 graphic, so are more vertecis able to do or why do TGC just show so lowpoly characters?"

It takes a VERY VERY long time to make a game like crysis, if dark gdk were to spend all their time making such a game then how will they make the library?
It is impossible to spend such long time making a game and then do a library aswell.

Yes, crysis can be made in c++, you are not programming Dark GDK, Dark GDK is just a library which allows you to use their functions, however you are programming in c++ which means u can pretty much make anything. There isnt really a boundary.

Smoke me a kipper, ill be back for breakfast.
UnreconizedPro
Years of Service
User Offline
so it is possible to make a game like crysis in thi programm, because i am thinking about to buy dark, but if it just has those ps2 graphics, than i am going to save my money and get the cryengine 3
Fatal Berserker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "so it is possible to make a game like crysis in thi programm, because i am thinking about to buy dark, but if it just has those ps2 graphics, than i am going to save my money and get the cryengine 3"

It is c++!
Dark GDK is a library, not a language.
C++ can do everything theres no boundaries, and C++ is free, and Dark GDK is free.

Smoke me a kipper, ill be back for breakfast.
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2010 20:49 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2010 20:49
How the character models look like in a game has precious little to do with Dark GDK. That depends on your modelling and texturing skills and artistic talent, not on the functions that load that model from the hard disk.

Ragdoll is not a GDK feature either. You will need a physics engine for that, and it's not a simple task at all. There are several physics engines available and several forum members have already used them successfully together with Dark GDK, but I don't know if any of them can make a ragdoll. It's a quite advanced feature.

You don't need to buy Dark GDK itself because it's free. You only have to buy the commercial license if you want to sell a game that you make with it. Also there are plugins providing extra features that cost some money.

If you mean this seriously, I do recommend to download and play around with the free Dark GDK installation first, then you will see what it can and cannot do.

Be warned that Dark GDK is really just a collection of functions, there is no automated support for any advanced feature like those you mentioned, and no integrated environment to work in. If you want features, you have to implement them yourself. It's great for people who like programming but judging by your questions, it may not be great for you. I'm not happy to discourage anyone from Dark GDK but you'd be better off looking for an integrated tool like Unity or UDK, maybe FPS Creator for a start.

You want to buy the Cryengine? I've just made a quick search on the internet and what I found is that it's only licensed to software development companies and educational establishments, not to individuals, and I don't even dare guessing at the price. Unless you were thinking about a modder kit?
UnreconizedPro
Years of Service
User Offline
So i will at first stay at Dark GDK, but there must be a different between dark pro and there is a dark physic engine whch also costsome money, so there must be a different between those 2 versions.

CRYENGINE, i got sandbox, but there are some SDK of cryengine.

FPS CREATOR: no i got still skills from BLENDER.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-02 08:31:51
Your offset time is: 2024-07-02 08:31:51