Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Doyle 2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2011 08:48 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2011 08:49
You might add a donate button to your site. (haven't visited, so maybe you already have? )

I don't know if other people ever donate, but I tend to donate what I can if I really like something... (Sometimes even if I don't use it very much )

That way people can donate a little if they think you deserve it, and want to support further development.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2011 20:34 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2011 20:35
Mr Kohlenstoff-

The only problem was that I did not know that other objects could trigger the gravity switch, despite the hint. However in the Simple campaign one of the levels kind of teaches this in a more obvious way (if I remember correctly). So perhaps the level was a little out of order or another level could be put into the Simple to teach this concept?

I'm still going through the non-Basic campaign (forget what it is called).

This game just screams AppUp. Simple controls, the gameplay, etc. Spruce up the character graphics if it doesn't stray too far from your vision, and get it on there.

Or keep it free.

[EDIT] Or donate button, of course.

A 3D marble platformer using Newton physics.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2011 22:14
I finished the Basics campaign. Great game, I'm definitely going to keep playing after finals are over and recommend it to friends . The puzzle design itself is innovative and fun, and gets pretty tricky at times. The unlockables are a nice touch. I think I managed to get some of the trickier ones .

A few minor comments so far:
- The straw hat accessory is a weird color and doesn't line up well with the player's head, making me not inclined to use it .
- You might consider making the player freeze or disappear upon reaching the end of the level - letting them continue to run around after the fadeout starts is a little weird and they could conceivably get themselves killed or something in that time.
- The desaturated portals are nigh-impossible to see unless you're looking closely.
- In the bit where you have to guide the crate through the maze by switching gravity, the gravity arrows don't always switch, making precision difficult.

A found one pretty serious bug in the room on Basics 9 with two crates and two buttons. I threw one of the crates at a slope and it got stuck in it and started twitching. I'm sending you my recording, I'm assuming you can see this in it.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2011 08:30
OK, finally. Sorry for the delay and thanks for your feedback and the kind words.
I'm gonna fix the portals (make them rotate slowlier while being not as transparent, for example) and the straw hat. The game's bahaviour during the fade out is a good point as well (even though the player actually shouldn't be able to move anywhere during that time).

It seems like you forgot to attach the recording to the email. Maybe it's due to my mail client being not too reliable, but you probably just forgot it I guess.
However I've got an idea what the problem is. The collision with these triangular tiles just doesn't work that well so far, sometimes resulting in the unit (in this case the cube) ~falling through the ground. But I planned to rework the collision anyway (atm I've got like 300 lines responsible for unit/object collision, perfectly messy and certainly full of bugs like this), I've already got a plan on how to do it in an easy and more robust way.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2011 10:04
I thought that e-mail sent quickly .

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 21:12
Pew... seriously, what a mess. I spent the previous few days working on the collision system. As you might have noticed, the player sometimes died when jumping on triangular tiles (and apart from that the bug BMacZero encountered seemed to be related to the collision system as well). Furthermore walking on them was somewhat "laggy". Thus I decided to rewrite the complete collision system, because it was rather badly written, and with "rather badly" I mean horrible.
Anyway, after rewriting everything two times without success I wanted to use the old, buggy but technically working system again, but for some reason it didn't work anymore, even though I hadn't changed anything related to it (well, obviously I did change something, I just have no idea what). As consequence I had no choice but to figure out how to solve the problem, using the newest collision code I'd written.

Now, like 15 hours later, I managed to fix the major bugs and everything works indeed a bit better than before. Some new bugs appeared, but I'll eliminate them later. Anyway, ramps are not a problem anymore, hence I can concentrate on things that are actually interesting. Like sound. Finally.

@BMacZero: Thanks for the demo.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 01:09 Edited at: 14th Jun 2011 01:10
Ah, fun with custom collision.

On another note, what are the conditions for unlocking Storymode? I've beat Basics but all I have now are Basics, Co-op and Challenge.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 02:24
Mr Kohlenstoff-
Can you explain how you tie objects to reset points? In other words, player takes a box, throws it away and kills themselves. When they restart at the point the box is lying where it was originally. How do you accomplish this?

A 3D marble platformer using Newton physics.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 09:55
Quote: "On another note, what are the conditions for unlocking Storymode? I've beat Basics but all I have now are Basics, Co-op and Challenge."

No storymode yet. I removed the old one, it simply couldn't hold up with the rest of the game, in my opinion. I've got a concept for the new story mode, but won't start working on it before july or august.
If you want to try it nontheless, it should be playable in Beta 4. But it really wasn't that great (I mean, so far there was no real story at all and the level design was rather bad).

@tiresius:
The checkpoint system is quite straight forward - it's basically just a kind of save game. The complete map, every unit, object and elevator are stored in an array, and when I load the previous checkpoint all units/objects are deleted and recreated from the given array's data. Furthermore the map is set back to its previous state, so are the elevators. And I think that's it.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2011 17:18
The game's sound system is finally complete and working, as written in the blog some days ago.

Furthermore I worked on a new bonus level:

[url=http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/367/screen43.png]

[/url]

All in all development of the (final) sixth beta is going really well, even though I'm already 2 weeks behind my actual schedule. There won't be any interesting news within the next few weeks though, because there's just too much tedious work to be done at first. meh.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:19:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:19:32