Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Looking for book or best Tutorial available for DarkSDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Yo im wanting to use DARKGDK to make a tank battle kinda game and I'm just learning at first so I need to know what the best book or tutorial is for beginning with DarkSDK

tyvm

Learning c++ is a biznatch!
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 15:24
learn C++, once you do so, you'll be able to make decent games right after reading the tutorials that come with GDK and an attempt or two

[href]cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial[/href], this is a great place to learn C++

ahh..im tierd of repeating this, and posting the same link

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 19:49 Edited at: 24th Sep 2010 20:03
Dark GDK comes with a few example programs and basic tutorials. You can find them in the start menu, and also by looking into the directory structure where you installed Dark GDK. Start by reading those, compile the examples, see how they work. Then have a look at the list of commands in the help file to have an idea of the possibilities. Then start experimenting and if something doesn't work, post here. I suppose that's the path most of us went through.

There is a book that tries to teach programming together with using Dark GDK, it is commonly known "the Gaddis book": Starting Out with Games and Graphics in C++. I don't know the book personally but saw in the forum several people working from it and it was even advertised in the TGC newsletter once (issue 88). But you don't necessarily need a book.

EDIT: I suppose you asked about Dark GDK learning, not general C++ but if that interests you too, the link posted by Hassan is very good. Also I found the "teach yourself C++ in 24 hours" book very usable. (I used a translated issue not the original but it must be the same content.)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-02 08:42:32
Your offset time is: 2024-07-02 08:42:32