Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Lack of IQ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Whats with people posting asking questions about really simple things like installation, instructions on programming a whole game, or asking about things that are easily found on Google or the search function here. Learning how yourself is part of the journey to becoming a good programmer. Someone else can tell you how to do something, but until you figure out how to do it yourself you will never have success programming. It stands to reason that if someone else figured it out, the resources are available to figure it out.
This is more of a rant thread than anything, but it is definitely annoying when these forums gets cluttered with useless threads and people wonder their threads don't get a single response. No one can tell you how to program an RPG, if there was a manual on how to program every aspect every RPG would be the same, but again, part of the joy of programming is staying up till 5 in the morning trying to figure things out. Oh, doing this helps you solve life problems to!
Just a rant thread, I've posted all of like 1 or 2 threads asking for help, and usually I figured it out myself before even getting a response. Programming is a spiritual journey
Pilz X Schizo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2010 19:35
Completely agree with you. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems not to long ago (maybe 3-4 years) these fourms use to have all sorts of interesting programming topics. They would get me thinking about all sorts of tasks and how I would go about them. Now i'm lucky if I see even 1 of those a month mixed in with all the clutter.
Abraxas77
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with you. You are absolutely correct in saying, "Learning how [to solve a problem] yourself is part of the journey to becoming a good programmer." I would further posit that it is a vital part to becoming a good programmer.

... but, just play devil's advocate here ...

We are each at different points along the path to being a good programmer. We have each faced problems along the way. And we have each had different resources with which to help us overcome each problem. No single resource can provide all the answers. And a resource you may have used to overcome a problem may not be available to another person facing the same problem. Perhaps they lack the necessary means or ability to acquire said resource. Are they not, in such a case, justified in posing a question which, to you, seems trivial since you have the resource?

-----

However, I can plainly see that answers to at least some of the recent threads could have easily been found simply by searching this forum. And some questions may have been posed without any attempt at first solving the problem.

But, for myself, I often find the process of responding to--even the most trivial--problems can be rewarding. I might find confidence from helping someone overcome something I previously found difficult; their problem may evoke new ideas or new solutions to some ongoing problem of mine; or just the distraction
from my current work is enough to allow me to clear my head and approach a difficult problem from a new perspective.
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
I have the impression that the traffic on the Dark GDK board has considerably reduced recently and most of the remaining traffic is generated by beginners (most of whom give up in two weeks/months anyway). The experts seem to have disappeared, some names I used to see often do not show up now, or very rarely. I agree that even trivial questions must be answered, but it's sad when those questions are in the overwhelming majority.
Fatal Berserker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2010 00:43 Edited at: 1st Oct 2010 00:44
This is the Internet. We no longer learn how to tackle problems. We only know where to find the solution.

--Man, i feal like a philosopher now--

Smoke me a kipper, ill be back for breakfast.
Benjames8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2010 08:11
I am guilty of cluttering these forumns with simple question's. I have like 3 posts in the last two day's which I dont mind having them be deleted now that I have my answers.
-
-
-
I can honestly say I would have never got to where I am without this forumns. I'm sorry that I scared off the "Dragon's"
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm sorry that I scared off the "Dragon's""

They are just sleeping.....

The fastest code is the code never written.
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This is the Internet. We no longer learn how to tackle problems. We only know where to find the solution."

but unfortunately that's one of the major things you have to do now - because there's so many different languages with all their quirks n weirdnesses.

Still, I think most ppl that post junk like you're referring to are like 11 or younger. I know I was a massive noob when I started off.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-30 11:34:26
Your offset time is: 2024-06-30 11:34:26