Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / How do i make a worldn darkbasic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2010 00:28
so in school we are making a short video game project along the lines of CarbonAde if you have ever heard of it. anyway they were never clear on making a world just various plains and boxes that make a square confined room. thats not what i want though what i had in mind was a colosseum level. can someone explain to me how i van make one on db version 1.4 without downloading anything extra?

I'll make Halo look like poke'mon!
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
In DBC? That would require memblock stuff. Best and easiest way would be to download a free 3d modeling program (there are some good ones stickied somewhere) and make it there.

Alternatively, you can try to create a matrix and position the points appropriately, but it will probably be more trouble than its worth.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
DarkComplicated wtf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2010 00:56
that sounds really complicated lol thanks though i think i might just use a square world, do you know of a way to make circular walls? i think i could try to just wake round walls and photoshop a bitmap or jpg and create a cheap texture. (if what you said isnt complicated though it probably just sounds complicated 'cuz im new at this and i actually just joined this site yesterday)

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Take a cylinder and make the size <0 (So for instance MAKE OBJECT CYLINDER 1,-25). This will flip the normals. This will allow you to see the edges from the inside.

Alternatively you can use the SET OBJECT command and turn cull off (might be on, I can never remember) which will force DBC to display 3d polygons that aren't facing the camera (ie if a polygon is facing away from the camera, the camera will not even display it normally. If you turn off the cull, it will display it on both sides.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2010 01:59
If you're trying to make a world / map in DBC it's best to keep everything rectangular, this allows you to use the built in primitives and static collision boxes, if you need to use collision detection. See TDKs tutorials for how to do this:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=96045&b=10

This is the code from the DBC examples file which might be of help:

It is possible to make more complex maps but it is, well, complicated and probably beyond what you're being asked to do. Just to show you how complicated, have a look at some of the demos in this thread:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=167811&b=10

As BN2 said, you need to use memblocks to be able to make the map and the maths is quite fierce to do all the collision. It certainly isn't something a new comer should try as a first program.

Anyway, if you get stuck, post what code you have and we'll see if we can help.
DarkComplicated wtf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2010 01:32
alright thank you 29 games and bn2. sorry though i've only been messing with dbc for about 1 week....(just finished the tutorials which dont even help much) so im sticking with a rectangular world and turning it into a maze. (if anyone can give me the code for setting a collision box specific to an object and i also need to know if theres a difference in arena collision and a collision box with a set area) all help is appreciated thank you

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 18:08:26
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 18:08:26