Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Frustration with the language

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have used other computer languages, and Dark Basic Professional is probably the most erratic of them all! Its flexibility is just so weak!

For some reason, if I save a project, in no longer links to the .dba files that were supposedly in them! Basically, my saves are just completely non-functional.

Then, if I try to open the old .dba by relinking it, I lose the top part of my code, and:

"Rem ***** Included Source File *****"
has overwritten some of it!

Am I doing something wrong?
SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2010 22:54
Yes
tomaszavenger
Years of Service
User Offline
Wise guy huh? Can you prehaps tell me what it is? Not so wise now, are you?
T4r4ntul4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2010 23:21
sometimes if you save a dba or project file with a name like: "this is a test" the spaces in the name cause that a dbpro dba file are no longer connected to the project file. simply rename everything to "this_is_a_test" and change it also in your dbpro project file, then everything is connected again to eachother.

maybe ( if you understand what i mean ) thats the problem...
tomaszavenger
Years of Service
User Offline
It is not the problem, I use only lowercase letters, without spaces, one of my standard conventions.
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 16th Oct 2010 23:24
What IDE are you using? Sometimes BlueIDE messes up like that but all you have to do is open the .dbpro (the project file) file with notepad and change the .dba file next to "main=". Open the project file in the IDE and it should work fine. If you do just "Save Project" you're only saving the .dbpro file and not the .dba file where the actual code is.

tomaszavenger
Years of Service
User Offline
I am using the standard IDE, that came with the product. No custom IDE. I attempted your method of repair, but the dba file reference is still present in the project file. On loading it, it does not show up.
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 16th Oct 2010 23:32
You could just load the .dba file first and resave a new .dbpro file. Which editor exactly? There are 3 standard editors that come with Darkbasic Pro (all located in yourDarkbasicDirectory/Editor).

Editor.exe <-(oldest)
EditorU73.exe
EditorNew.exe <-(newest)

tomaszavenger
Years of Service
User Offline
I did your first method, and noticed that doing so, I have the same error; the .dba file seems never to be appearing, just the main 'help' screen.

I am unsure which editor I am using, how can I check?
T4r4ntul4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2010 23:53 Edited at: 16th Oct 2010 23:55
btw i just noticed that not only the files but the map itself with the files needs to be unspaced.

version can you see in your menu editor by help --> about darkbasic professional editor.

i misread your last question: you can check your exe by right mouse on your editor icon and open up file location, then you can see what exe your using
tomaszavenger
Years of Service
User Offline
Just says Dark Basic Professional Editor
Build: October 2009
Tried the Compiler version too:
v1.071
Checked for updates, none found.
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2010 01:08
@tomaszavenger if it says no updates grab the update right from the website as we are now in *75 71 was a few back

======================================

GreenDixy Productions http://GreenDixy.Com
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 17th Oct 2010 01:10
Quote: "Checked for updates, none found."

Try here:

Latest DBPro release details

Some of the problems you describe have been fixed in the latest update (U7.5).
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2010 09:16
I really enjoy version U7.5 of DBpro. I'm looking forward to a few more bug fixes still, but all in all the IDE has been great!

Is there going to be a U7.6 thread, similar to the older U7.5 thread which is no longer updated?

Cheers,
BFM
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2010 20:13 Edited at: 18th Oct 2010 20:24
You can tell which editor you are using by looking at your launch.cfg file in notepad.

It has a section called [LAUNCH FILES] which will list what editor is being used. You can change it to change what editor you use, as well.

There are a couple of things you can do to help insure you get a good save. When you start a new project, use File>New>Project, and have the "Create directory for this project" box checked. Also, in the project properties panel, change the filename from Application.exe to whatever you want to use. Then make sure you let DBPro do a save when you compile and run.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2010 12:29
from what you posted in your first post, it looks like you are adding file to the main file as includes and then not putting anything in the main file.

you only get "Rem ***** Included Source File *****" when you are linking other file to the main one.

quick show of what the included does

following code saved as main project.

now if you use 'add a new file' it will open one up ready to use with the main file were you can add the code for box function.

now if you are not doing anything like this above then keep asking for help.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 22:31:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 22:31:51