Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Pixel/vertex shader tutorials

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 07:08
DBPro espouses it's ability to use advanced Dirext X shaders, and I am sure it can. But from having looked through the forums there seems to be a great deal of misunderstanding and confusion on how to make them work/set them up. I for one am confused.

Please can you guys at the Game creators post some examples of ALL the main pixel/vertex shaders with descriptions of how to set them up etc.

I have looked in the manual but it doesn't seem to list how to create the various SPECIFIC effects. I know you can "set pixel shader on", but which pixel shader does it set on? Please can someone provide some decent explenations and examples/tutorials on how to create this fundemental (to the success of DBPro) ability.

Thank you.
anseyder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 08:53
Ok, I stand corrected, just went looking a bit more thoroughly and found the listing of the spere mapping etc.

I would still like to see a few good tutorials, particularly with dual texturing, explaining how to drive the dual texture with an alpha map - or some other user defined weighting system.
Ken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 18:06
Yes, I agree. As I only have the demo at the moment I'd like to see a LOT more of what DBPro can do. Because it comes with no examples, poor documentation and there seem to be so few examples about showing off the best of what DBPro can really do I'm holding onto my money for the moment.

Please, someone point us to some examples with source.
Darkflame
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont think anyone has gor any *.fx shaders working.

I tried for ages with Nvidias libury, couldnt even get default.fx to work properly.
Have to wait till the next update I think.

"The man who says it cannot be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." ~ Elbert Hubbard
anseyder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 04:14
I am (obviously) new to DBPro, but I work in the games industry as a designer/artist. My most recent project was as a level artist on the PS2 game Firewarrior (check the credits for Andrew Seyderhelm).

The look of a game is very important to me, and developing for PS2 teaches you a lot about making far lower poly and texture size games still look good (as compared with PC games). DBPro isn't as refined as many commercial rendering engines (but is 100th the cost), but I strongly believe it has the ability to create kick ass graphics anyway! To that aim I am working towards creating an art demo - basically a level that you can move through which will later be expanded into a game. But my first endeavour is to be able to fly through a great looking level.

To that end some decent resources/tutorials on the following would be a big help:

1)dual texturing and using an alpha channel or weight map to control dual texturing.
2)light map set up - a basic tutorial that explains the process of setting up light maps within DBPro - I know how to create them, it's the application with DB that I would liek to see.
3)A run down on the various pixel shaders, how to set them up to achieve the best result.

These are major features, they deserve the attention. When I have figured out as much as I can I will post my findings. Also, I use Softimage XSI and Maya to make my levels so please keep the tutorials generic on the level editing side of things.

buy the PS2 Game Firewarrior (I worked on it as a level artist)
anseyder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 04:15
NB: with all these I know how to create the various effects in my modelling software, it is just the BDpro application that I want to learn. Thanks.

buy the PS2 Game Firewarrior (I worked on it as a level artist)
Darkflame
Years of Service
User Offline
hehe, nice plug.

I may be wrong, but if you want graphics on-par with modern consoles (ps2 included) you might have to wait for the next updates.

While techiquely DBP supports pixal and vertex shaders, theres so much bugs and problems its not worth doing them now.

However, according to the help file they are working on a DBP compatble *.fx libury...which should
a) Make good FX files easy to find.
b) Garenty 100% DBP compatble.

c) Make your game looks incredable

"The man who says it cannot be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." ~ Elbert Hubbard
Velorien
Years of Service
User Offline
I got shaders to work. I downloaded the new DX9 SDK and wrote my own effect in Effect Edit (i just altered some things). The effect is stupid (just some various colors or something like that) but i think it works. I just need someone who knows how to program shaders (because i just started learning them)
Darkflame
Years of Service
User Offline
really? I havnt tried my own, but *none* of Nvida's ones work.
(at least, I tried 20 or so).

Does your one need external textures?

Velorien
Years of Service
User Offline
There is no need for external textures because the effect doesn't need any (it's just some different light or whatnot, crappy) but it works. I think that you can make nvidia's shaders work if you modify them a little in Effect Edit (use default.x for your model in your effects) and you can use the load effect feature in DB Pro to use models own textures or the textures you specified in the effect. I have tried using shaders made with ATI's Render Monkey but with no luck. I guess i still need practice

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 03:52:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 03:52:29