Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Community vote for Dark Physics update

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 17:46
And how about the collision reporting commands? As of now, there is no way to play collision sounds in a believable manner.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 17:56
Quote: "And how about the collision reporting commands? As of now, there is no way to play collision sounds in a believable manner."

What do you mean by this?
You can detect if two things collide so why can't you just play a sound when/if it happens?

I ask as I have a similar implementation in my plug-in and if there is a problem with it then I would need to change it.

griffirr
Years of Service
User Offline
revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 15:14
Quote: "[quote]And how about the collision reporting commands? As of now, there is no way to play collision sounds in a believable manner."
What do you mean by this?
You can detect if two things collide so why can't you just play a sound when/if it happens?

I ask as I have a similar implementation in my plug-in and if there is a problem with it then I would need to change it.[/quote]

I mean that sometimes it seems to miss collisions (or report them over and over again), and that there are problems with the commands used to detect an impact's "magnitude" (been awhile since I tried it so I dont remember the actual command names).

It should also have provided information like the number of vertices that are colliding and their positions, and possibly ways to detect sliding collisions.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 20:41
Quote: "I mean that sometimes it seems to miss collisions (or report them over and over again), and that there are problems with the commands used to detect an impact's "magnitude" (been awhile since I tried it so I dont remember the actual command names).

It should also have provided information like the number of vertices that are colliding and their positions, and possibly ways to detect sliding collisions. "

OK thanks.
Not sure about detecting sliding collisions, PhysX might be able to do that but not seen anything specific. Also, its not vertices that collide really, its more to do with collision shapes, apart from cloths maybe, I think they might use the vertices for collision.

CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
I've had problems too with dark physics, mainly with fluids, cloths, particles, and ragdolls. Fluid emitters will stop emitting fluid even though it is set to keep emitting fluid, cloths and particle emitters will disappear depending on the direction the camera is facing, and I don't have a clue on how to get ragdolls working, and these problems still happen even with a PhysX Capable GPU. I've also had problems with other plugins from TGC like with dark clouds not being able to get the sun directions without an error, and with dark lights not being able to use shaders with shaded lightmapped objects .

The Pokemon Engine is still alive.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2011 12:24
Quote: "cloths and particle emitters will disappear depending on the direction the camera is facing"

This will probably be DBPro culling the object when its root position is off screen. You should be able to turn culling off but I'm not sure if you can, I would be interested if anyone knows the solution to this?

That said, I think there is a command SET OBJECT BOUNDS which may help, if the root object is huge then DBPro should not cull it, I will post here if I find a work-around to this problem.

David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2011 18:49
well all i want is a true character controller that can jump with physics & fall if u go over a cliff.thats all!! current cc wont even fall if u walk over a cliff which i really hate! when i got dp i thought cool my player will be able 2 jump,fall down steep terrain & i dont have 2 program anything! bs!!! we need a better cc!!!!!
fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2011 18:31
they really need to fix the character controller

-auto stepping is very buggy
-and strafe really needs to be included
Admiral MH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2011 02:21 Edited at: 11th Feb 2011 04:43
Yes for update!

Its disappointing that TGC would continue to sell a product that does not work, including enhancements plugin.

I know that now TGC is working on AppGameKit, but hopefully before DBPro update V8.0 they should fix this.

My suggestions for the next update...

1. Make this work on latest Nvidia Physx version, and including all functionality that is with the latest version of Physx.

2. Fix the Graphics card Physx support . (I have a GT 430 that supports Physx, and when I use that command 'Physx' it says that I don't have support for it.)

3. Fix character controller with some new commands including...

Phy Position Character Controller
Phy Rotate Character Controller
Phy Move Character Controller Up,Down,Left,Right (To make it easier on some people.)

Also fix the CC to make it collide with environment. (Like pushing boxes.)

Sooo... please listen to us TGC...
Wyldhunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 09:59
Tsk Tsk...
'Tis a mob in here...

I would love for DP to get a nifty new update to make it more stable. That seems to be the biggest complaint here. That returned values sometimes fail to return, or return multiple times, or return gibberish. Lack of documentation. Ragdoll.

Someone mentioned that it didn't detect their PhysX GPU correctly(It fails to detect mine too)
And, then there are a bunch of functionality requests for better control and updated DirectX...

Some of this is valid as a bug fix request. A lot isn't.
They have been busy fixing bugs in DBP. I know because I check in on the Google Code page every now and then.
There is no such thing as bug free programs.
DP works. I've used it. I've used most of their plugins. They work just fine considering that most of them were purchased from 3rd parties and then largely abandoned by their creator. There's still a few that are supported by their original creator, but I don't see that often.
You're asking TGC to completely abandon the software that they know and let it remain buggy so that they can spend huge amounts of time studying a bunch of code in the hopes that they can make sense of it well enough to fix bugs that appear to be of the very slippery type anyway.

Here's how I see it:
To make a full scale game that will make real money can take a team of people multiple years to make.
If a dedicated team of 6 people worked for 2 years straight, they could make a major title and probably manage to get funded along the way. Wind up with a game the quality of Dragonage...

That never happens because it's a lot harder than people seem to think when they start. But, that's what most people want when they come here. An indie company that can release a successful game so that they can work full time making games.

Problem: DBP and all of the plugins are DX9. In 2 years when you release your game, the big titles will all be DX11.
So, update DBP? That would be my answer. I know they already got a start with the engine for FPSCX10... But, they'd have to update nearly every plugin too. Including DP. That would probably take them 2 years to finish.

What does this mean?

It means that DBP and all of the plugins are only good for smallish games that you can create and release in a few months on Steam and hope that residual income from several small games will allow you to work full time as an indi game company. That works fine for a lot of people and it doesn't make DBP bad software.

It means that pretty soon, TGC are going to have to look in to a major software update of all of their programs and plugins if they want to remain viable as a company, because the game creators need the tech ahead of time so that their games will be made to use what the customer will have when they finish. And, in a few years, DX9 will be a joke. When was the last time you saw a game on a store shelf that said 'Requires DX7'? It's been a while. DX9 is already on its way out.

The short version:
While I'd love to see a nice new shiney paint job on my physics plugin, I think TGC have more important things to be working on.
But, I'll still vote Yes. An update would be cool if they have the time.
knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 17:34
I vote Yes, it needs to be updated to the newest PhysX and also bug fixed

peterJBE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 20:38
I vote yes too.
Very usefull plugin, but should made more reliable.
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2011 23:11
I vote yes. I really need an update for dp. Either that or I am going to have to ask for a refund, as it has not given the things it has promised, and is highley outdated and not completed.

Think I can get a refund if I have purchased in Feb 2009?
I could put the wasted money to good use

Regards,

Max
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2011 22:53
Isn't asking for an updated character controller ridiculous when you can just restrict a physic body from rotating? What i want to see is an easy way for the physic drivers to install, i don't want people to have to go to a website, download stuff then install stuff before they can play and have fun.

Lucy in the

Sky with

Diamonds
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2011 08:24
I'll toss my yes vote into the ring. Been out of DBP programming for a few years and now getting back into it and trying to make sure everything is updated. I'm a bit sad that Dark Physics has languished.
--
TAZ

When you feel like absolutely no one is watching you, that's probably a ninja. - Ask A Ninja
tasmanian guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2011 11:21
Yes please update this, as I would love to make a 3D Angry Birds clone!

DBPro is the new Amos (I hope)
Bago
Years of Service
User Offline
From what I remeber the ability for a character controller to be able to push objects like in the tutorial don't work and Water does not push objects either in the demo projects.

I emailed them years ago and asked how to do that but thegamecreators gave no useful answer.
Mudbud Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2011 07:21

I just bought this too, only for the car physics :/

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. 2GB account is free! http://db.tt/Zo04mva
You get 250MB extra by using the link ^^
Almus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 16:46
sorry to post here, but there are plans for an update on darkphysics?, tgc, can you give us an answer?
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 00:15
Quote: "tgc, can you give us an answer?"

Unfortunately I doubt they will do anything at all now that the AppGameKit is released. They are putting all their time and effort into the AGK.

Clonkex

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 03:29
Yeah, in the end, they are a business and when you have limited resources you put your efforts where you'll make the most impact.

Having said that, some form of communication or acknowledgement would at least show that they given a damn one way or the other.
--
TAZ

Have gun, will travel.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 08:35
Quote: "in the end, they are a business and when you have limited resources you put your efforts where you'll make the most impact."

True, but...

Quote: "...some form of communication or acknowledgement would at least show that they given a damn one way or the other."

Clonkex

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:56:04
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:56:04