Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Competition question (Main character)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 13:38 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2003 13:41
I'm making a kinda 3D cartoony (not cell shade) adventure game, the problem is the supplied alien model clashes with the idea. I was just wondering if i could make my own model, it would be simillar in shape/looks to the original but cartoony and wearing a different outfit.

Here's a concept drawing for what i intend to make. (geocities link, you might have to copy and paste: http://www.geocities.com/hexgear/xen_cpt.JPG)

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 14:17
Spooky Hexgear, I'm going for the cartoony look too. I haven't gone as far as you, though, with a complete new look.

I think you need to be careful. It says you can change the mesh, and change the texture, as long as it is still recognisable as the Alienware alien. It doesn't say you can create a completely new alien.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 16:17
I would have to say no I'm afraid. The alien is just too different. He doesn't look modified, he looks entirely changed. If I were to allow this it would open up all manner of problems. We learnt from the last competition - don't bend the rules for anyone, so that's what we'll stick to this time. It's only fair.

Cheers,

Rich

The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.
Your brain's just like any other appliance: it works better if you plug it in...
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 16:39
A fair decision too. I know the Retro Remakes Competition also had a lot of trouble with the rules not being specific and clear enough and allowing some things but disallowing others.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 17:15
you could however still have the same look of the model by changing the texture & adding a ball on its head to become the helmet thing.

that is within the rules, not the exact result you'd like but within the rules considering your not editing the mesh and they said you can change the texture if you wish

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 17:29
cool, thanks all for the feedback.

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 02:21
hey, just thought of something, what if i use the original alien model and change the textures totally, even replacing the face texture of the alien to a cartoonish one like on the pic above? would that still be considered fair game? it should i guess considering i don't touch the mesh...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 02:28
:: re-reads what he wrote last post :: ... erm... err... lol

if ya want i can thumb through the rules, which they dictate you can alter the mesh provided it is recogniseable. However your allowed to completely replace the textures and animations if you so wish.

There is nothing about adding to what is on the mesh, provided you don't actually touch the mesh itself (hense what i originally proposed )

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 04:43
Some examples of valid mesh changes:

Say you collect a power-up in a game that makes you float like a balloon: You could modify the model so that it looked expanded and balloon shaped in order to float.

Say you had a death sequence in which the alien got its legs cut off or squashed by a rock. You could edit it to remove the legs or squish it down.

You get a power-up that makes the alien sprout wings and fly - fine, add wings to him!

You can edit any facet of the texture, but the alien must look kinda similar.

This is all explained in the rules quite clearly, but I hope those examples give a little more insight at least.

Cheers,

Rich

The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.
Your brain's just like any other appliance: it works better if you plug it in...
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 17:00
thanks, i get it now.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 17:19
The little alien dude would look pretty cool with a glass bubble like Raven suggested, maybe a little 'Mars Attacks', but certainly would fit with a comical game - esp. if you can smash the bubbles to kill the martians.

I'm not changing the texture, except maybe to make some low res versions, I'm going for a cartoonish look too - like detailed cartoonish, my little soldier dudes would'nt fit in anywhere else .

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 19:42
looks like a lot more people will be going for the cartoonish look . I'm gonna end up re-doing the entire texture 'cus my character is supposed to be wearing a space suit complete with the glass helmet.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 22:22
yup alot of people are going for the cartoon look, not sure why - maybe because of XIII who knows

personally not going for any hyper-real or cartoon style, but still so much to go
finally got the netplay working, the when i added the shaders back in the entire game crashed again even without using them.

just having one of those days, gonna be working all night again to try and get this done for the guys - but looks very likely they'll have to download later once i upload it.

KNau
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2003 00:04
What I would keep in mind is that you can make all the changes you want and bend whatever rules you want but understand that all of the entries will be judged based on their adherence to the contest quidelines.

If you make a slightly interactive tech demo (or unfinished demo of a game) and have wildly changed the alien mesh and textures I imagine you would lose compared to someone who completed a much simpler game using the standard model and textures.

From what I've read it's the quality and "completeness" of your game and how closely you followed the rules that you will be judged upon.

http://www.canceriannewmedia.com
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2003 01:19 Edited at: 5th Oct 2003 01:20
i doubt i'll be going any further than manipulating the texture anyways, thanks for the heads up.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 14:39:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 14:39:26