Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Silly Error?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 14:04
I Have just bought DarkBasicPro, the full version and am working my way through the Binary Moon tutorials. None of the exercises are staying on scren when I execute, unless they are multi lin codes that I step through.

I am sure that i did not have this problem when I was just browsing through and trying different things. Even the print "Hello World" exercise wont stay on screen. It flashes up mementarily then it reverts back to the project window.

Have I missed something or could my system have become corrupted?
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 14:21
Quote: "Have I missed something"

Yes, the part on the bottom of the first page of the Binary Moon Tutorials that says (words to the effect of) "This isn't for DBPro".

Cheers,

Rich

The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.
Your brain's just like any other appliance: it works better if you plug it in...
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 14:21 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2003 14:22
[EDIT] beaten to it by Rich

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
stankarp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 17:15
Thanks for the prompt response.

I ended up at the Binary Moon Tut following the link provided by BATVINK to another user on THIS SAME FORUM, ie, the DarkBasicPRO forum.

I downloaded all the Bin Moon and monster Hunt tutorials because I could not find any other basic tuts. I'm a newbie to programming and cant find any basic DBPro ones to get me going.

Could you please advise-
a) are you sure the DB tuts-Bin Moon wont work with DBpro, as I was getting them to work just they would not stay on screen(as if something was missing from the instruction, like a start and finish command. I was able to run them by adding code then running in step mode until I ran out of code ). I switched to the Monster Hunt tuts and they worked fine until no 8 when I was trying to walk on the matrix. Then I started to have problems.
b) are there any basic DBPro tuts available and if so, where please?
stankarp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 02:43
Further to the above, could Mr Davey explain why DarkBasic tuts dont work in DarkBasic Pro when I was advised:-

"Does "Professional" Mean Harder To Learn?Not when it comes to DarkBASIC Professional. "Professional" to us means that you get all of the benefits of the original DarkBASIC language, so you can write games with ease. But you also get the lower-level control and extras you would expect from a Professional language. There are an increased range of Data Types, a far more advanced 3D Engine with low level access to Object data. You can utilise vector and matrix manipulation via the 3D Maths commands and many other advanced features that are there if you need them" (quoted from the DBPro homepage)

I understood from the above that DBPro was an expansion of DB, ie, it contained all the original features plus more.
EarWorm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 19:29 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2003 19:33
One difference is that DB uses DirectX 7, but DBPro takes advantage of DirectX 8. That means the video interfaces are different in the two programs, which might explain the strange screen behavior of trying to run something meant only for DB in DBPro.

You can buy DBlite for $15 and use it to work all the tutorials and learn the basics.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 22:31
Quote: "I ended up at the Binary Moon Tut following the link provided by BATVINK to another user on THIS SAME FORUM, ie, the DarkBasicPRO forum. "

You're not on the Pro Forum, you're on the newcomers forum

And this is the forum where I posted it, in response to a question about Darkbasic, not Darkbasic Pro...

http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=17651&b=7

I'm more than happy to help newcomers, I was one too and I was very grateful for the assistance I got here. However, if you're going to have a pop at me, at least get your facts straight

stankarp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 03:22
Thanks for the responses, particularly Batvink.

However, re the tutorials, if I look at the top of this page it says DARKBASIC Professional-Forum-View Thread. I go Back one page to Newcomers Corners and at the top it ALSO says Darkbasic Pro. The link I followed was in the thread "I still cant get the hang of" on that page, ie the one with DarkBasicPro at the top.

Thats why I was confused. My humblest apologies.

I still want Mr Davey to respond to my question above. Given what they advertised about Pro, I believe it was reasonable for me to assume that Pro was like getting MS Office Professional vs just Office, ie, the same thing with lots more or like getting WORD 7, knowing that all files created in previous versions of Word would work as well.

Over to you Mr Davey.
EarWorm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 03:45
But wouldn't the "professional" in DarkBasicProfessional imply that you already knew the basics?
koshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 04:00 Edited at: 4th Oct 2003 04:01
it not implying that the user is to be a professional at basic, (oxymoron?) just that the program darkbasic has gotten better, many of the commands in dbc are the same in dbp.
but i can see how people just looking at the name can get the idea its for advanced programmers of basic.

"Hello this is the suicide hotline, please hold..."
http://www.rovokaa.tk/ -
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 11:43
Here's the official blurb...

Quote: "With Darkbasic Professional you can run Darkbasic V1 . Note: Due to the vast improvements and completely re-written engine some code may require modification"

stankarp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 17:27
Thanks for the responses

Like to know where that quote is from Batvink, never saw it when I checked out DB Pro and still cant find it

Nevertherless "Professional to us means that you get all of the benefits of the original DarkBASIC language, so you can write games with ease. But you also get the lower-level control and extras you would expect from a Professional language" is a bit different to the message I am getting now. That quote is from the main home page for DB pro.

Still waiting for Mr Davey to comment
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 19:44 Edited at: 4th Oct 2003 19:44
The quote I gave is on the back of the box, middle right.

Don't know if anyone's pointed you in this direction yet, but here's the pro tutorials on the site

http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=dbpro_tutorials

stankarp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2003 03:37
Thanks Batvink.

So I was never told that because I never had access to the box as the program is only available by on line purchase in Australia(no local distributor) and I never received a box, only a large cd case and the manuals after I had purchased the program. Ie, I had no way of finding that out until after I had purchased, and as I said, thats not what the big, bold claim for Pro implies on the product homepage. Hmm.

Thanks for the link.

Waiting, waiting Mr Davey
stankarp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2003 03:42
ps,

Have already downloaded all those tutorials. As a novice, there seems to be a bit of a gap between getting started and those tutorials.

Thats why I was going for the DB tuts because they start at the beginning and go step by step.

If someone updated them so they would work in Pro, I wouldnt be complaining.

Thanks again Batvink

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 04:12:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 04:12:41