Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am sure many of the veterans here are probably annoyed after seeing alot of messages from newbs but any help would be appreciated.

I have been working with an old DOS based C++ program and have gotten fairly used to the C++ language. From what little I have seen from DB code it is alot easier to use to make games.

But I am worried as the language looks really foriegn right now what it can and cannot do. Now I know about half of you are thinking that I can do everything. I too have read the little slogan on the site.

What I am referring to is the variety of basic things you can manipulate with the code. For example in C++ you can store variables, arrays, classes and functions, there are 3 different loops (for, while, do while), if/else if chain ladder. As well as making libraries with funtions to help divide code into more managable tasks and for easy sharing.

I am pretty sure I saw somewhere you cannot modify classes on DB nor make libraries. Then I must ask if someone could be so kind. As to what I can do. Obviously some of these aren't neccessary to make a program but they do make it easier. Thank you in advance.
PoHa!84
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 23:29
You could easily look at the help menu, which is how I learned and am still learning. But since you posted, I'll assume that that didn't help.
As for the loops, DarkBasic has for, while, and do loops, and you can store variables and arrays. But you should have gotten that from the help file.
Anyways...
as for classes, you can work around with Dark Basic and not need them. I mean, I don't.
As for libraries, I'm not sure... perhaps the #include command?

If this is all information you know, then it's because I don't know what your asking. Please specify more clearly what you mean by "what (you) can do" because you can do a lot.

Destroy you with my mind, I could!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 01:04
DBP is a version of procedural basic, encompassing the Direct X API. It is not Object Oriented like you are used to in C++. Most here would say that it is way simpler to code in any form of Basic as opposed to a C-based language. Give it a go, you should be fine.

-RUST-
Black Hydra
Years of Service
User Offline
I am sorry I guess my message was sort of vague but you guys did help.

I am rather confused as to object/procedure based code. I always knew C++ was object based but that was pretty much meaningless as I had never compared it to another language. Perhaps you could specify what is actually meant by this statement.

Another question if I may field one is: Has anyone tried that big 700 page book on learning to use DB. I was going to get the bundle deal with it as any help I can get to learn it would be good but I must ask: Is it easy to learn from? Is it good? Does it provide examples and lessons? I just don't want to waste another 60 or so dollars for a useless text... or complicated text...
dj BlackDragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 03:20
the book talks about variables,loops, graphics,sound and i have read it but it doesnt say anything about the modeling or ai functions
koshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 04:07
yes, the book explains the very basic stuff and i dont think $60 is worth it. but maybe thats just me

"Hello this is the suicide hotline, please hold..."
http://www.rovokaa.tk/ -
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 06:29 Edited at: 4th Oct 2003 06:31
The Short answer:

Procedural Basic code just flows from first line of code to last line executing in order. You can alter the flow with obvious things like a Main Loop which calls various subroutines, until at which time the user does something that ends the code (like dies in a game or hits esc to break to program)

Object Oriented is just that....everything is an object (instantiated from the Class) that can contain methods, properties, and events-all of which are hinged on (watched over by) the operating system (win) which is actually a timer-based polling system (Like an infinite main loop that you don't tinker with). Properties are properties of the object, like if the Object was a book, for example, a property could be PageCount, PageColor, TextFont, etc etc. A method is a sub or function contained in the Object which goes and does something like MyBook.FetchPage(ByVal PageNumber as Integer)As String. The object also raises Events (detected by os) which triggers other functions or subs to run, or throws an Exception (object) when an error occurs. An Event is most commonly triggered by the user interacting with the program like pressing keys or clicking the mouse.

In short Procedural and OO are closely related logic and coding wise but differ greatly in how and why things execute as they do - actually OO is just a bunch of little blocks of procedural code just waiting to be called with no predetermined order of how things will happen.

The differences are vast and I probably shouldn't have gotten started trying to explain this as to do it correctly would take me days or weeks - LOL.

I prefer to code in an OOPL but I really like DBP too!
sorry for the short lame explanation-just scratching the surface...

-RUST-
Black Hydra
Years of Service
User Offline
Well if the book is a waste is there another learning guide you would suggest is better? I mean the book is what 700 pages. I must at least be able to give you a push in the right direction?

I also heard it came with a 3-D modelling kit. Any word on whether that is any good?
Evilcatt09
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "yes, the book explains the very basic stuff and i dont think $60 is worth it. but maybe thats just me
"

So you mean I shouldn't get the book?
Does it explian how to get started in making 3D games?

Does anyone else think the book is bad?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 03:43:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 03:43:41