Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / in game advertising

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm looking for a way to put ads that change over time in a game. Can/how do you put html into a dark gdk game? If web page loading is possible, would google's adsense or something like that, work with the program? Finally, would any of this be possible in just DarkBasic Pro as I am more familiar with it.

1ghz p3, 512 ram, 256mb geforce 5200 pci
Cuddle Bunniezzz 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2010 04:23
It's possible, but you would need to have a good understanding of networking and databases (and the C/C++ APIs to use them). For a game that I was working on, I was contemplating on putting ads in between the loading screens, but decided to not do so (Ads have a tendency to annoy people).

As for Google Adsense, you'll need a HTML renderer and Javascript interpreter for DarkGDK. I don't think either exist.

http://ref.darkgdk.us/ <- Online DarkGDK Refernece. More content coming soon.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2010 04:57 Edited at: 30th Oct 2010 05:00
If you desire to blend the Ads into the Game World Environment you're going to basically have to develop and integrate your own Web Browser into Games User's Interface. This could include crafting your own GUI and networking system to handle the HTTP protocol for html and Javascript. That's my approach.

MAUI operates like Web Browser, communicating to HTTP Servers requesting *.php files that use XML/LUA Script. I use PHP for server side scripting and to communicate with a MySQL Database to generate the data files dynamically. It would be a great deal of work to write a XML Parser to handle all the tags of HTML,DHMTL,CSS,Javascript, but you could focus the parsing around the specific tags in a Google Ad script.

Cuddle Bunniezzz 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2010 20:23 Edited at: 30th Oct 2010 20:30
Wubitog, if you do want to add ads, you definitely should take a look into MySQL. I learned how to use the technology along with PHP in a book called "Head First PHP & MySQL." It's a tad bit expensive, but well worth it. There are also many free tutorials out there to learn the two (Tizag's), but I'd recommend the book.

You'll also need to learn how to use the MySQL C API, it will be frustrating as all hell at first (it took me four months to correctly compile my first C++ & MySQL program), but if you need any help, just ask and I can give you some sample programs I have. (In fact, I wouldn't mind writing a "How to use MySQL with DarkGDK," Tutorial.)

And you will need a testing server too. I'd suggest installing WAMP Server. It's got everything, except the MySQL C API files, but you can get that from the official MySQL Server Installer. Also, you have to install the MySQL C++ Connector.

@TechLord

Hey, would you need someone to help you with PHP & MySQL development? I'm pretty damn good at that stuff. Oh, and if you need an XML Parser for S3DGE, have you tried libXML? I had a hell of the time trying to get it work, but it's really nice once you figure out how to use it.

http://ref.darkgdk.us/ <- Online DarkGDK Refernece. More content coming soon.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2010 20:57 Edited at: 30th Oct 2010 20:57
Quote: "Hey, would you need someone to help you with PHP & MySQL development? I'm pretty damn good at that stuff. Oh, and if you need an XML Parser for S3DGE, have you tried libXML? I had a hell of the time trying to get it work, but it's really nice once you figure out how to use it."
Thanks for the offer Cuddle Bunniezzz 12, but, I've already designed and implemented the system. Just a couple of tiny bugs to work out in DarkNet with HTTP communication. I'm using irrXML for XML Parsing in S3GE. I develop with PHP/MYSQL professionally, I'd say its the strong suit I wear in game development.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 16:31:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 16:31:39