Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Learning Keyboard

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 02:51
Wow, this could be an interesting topic.

Well, I've finally decided that it's time to learn the keyboard. I've done a little research, but am not sure as too what kind of keyboard to get.

First off, it will be used for my music in games. So here are a few things I'd like it too include.

-Needs to be able to record to MP3(or at least midi format)
-Wide Range of Sounds(LoL, why not?)
-$200 or less
-Doesn't matter what brand.(Hopefully something reliable though)

Provide any useful info. you can(Even if it's the time you started playing an keyboard), and it will be much appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------
Note: I have learned the Clarinet and I am self-taught myself the eleectric guitar. No need to worry about whether it will be too hard, or anything. I know how I best learn, and how to approach music.
-----------------------------------------------------------

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 03:08
Even anything related to music is fair play.

I might also consider getting some kind of music package to make the music on my pc rather than on a keyboard. Might be a little cheaper and not as limited.(Although eventually I'd like to learn keyboard.)

I'll just keep researching and let you know what I find.

CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 03:13
[/href]http://www.desktop-music.com/Tech-Spec/Prod02.htm[href]

it's really as good as the reviewer says.

CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 03:14 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2003 03:15
http://www.desktop-music.com/Tech-Spec/Prod02.htm

hyperlink didn't take, tried again.

also you can pick one up for about $100.00
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 03:34
@CTP

Nice find. Does look very good indeed.
--------------------------------------------------

Here's what I've found.
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showproduct.asp?PID=704&SPID=1
I was pretty impressed by Acid.(Too bad it's a little pricy.

I also checked out CakeWalk and was impressed(not as much as by acid) on there products.

Any suggustions on some good music making software?

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 04:25
I myself like the Finale system ([href]www.finalemusic.com[/href]) and currently use Finale Notpad There are a few options, and all except Finale Notpad (regular, not plus) has MIDI support.

Got a knack for finding secrets??? Jingot Racing --- A new brand of Racing --- Only from Nightwatch Studios
"hey, it's tomorrow" --- Hamish
CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 06:58
yellow, that keyboard, comes with cretive lab software to record and edit mp3,wav,midi the review I posted didn't say that but do a search for it and read some other reviews. it has a hell of alot of features.

CTP
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 11:18
creative labs have a new one now, should checkout thier website - you combine it with an Audigy Platinum Ex and you really have yourself an extremely powerful music studio.
There is a huge difference between something like Fruitloops and Audigy 24Carot Software ... some of the synthisised music you can product with Creatives Software with enough skill can sounds almost faultless.

good example are the Prototypes for the World of Warcraft area themes online, they will be remade using the LA Symphony Harmonic Orcestra but right now its purely synthasised - its actually remarkable what someone skilled with a midi program like the one that came with DB v1.08 ... because you can alter something with an ocelator wave on the notes played and the edit of that changes the tone&pitch of the note so you can wobble the musics that violins have with extended notes, or a slow rough fade for an electric guitar.

ofcourse a General Midi can never come close to Synthetic Music and Synth isn't close to as good as real. But with enough skill you can make both sound truely amazing to anyone who doesn't have an ear for music

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 18:22
$200 might be a very low limit. Using a Midi (master) keyboard with some sequencer software will surely be the cheaper option.

Quote: "creative labs have a new one now, should checkout thier website - you combine it with an Audigy Platinum Ex and you really have yourself an extremely powerful music studio."

extremely powerful music studio? No, certainly not.

Quote: "ofcourse a General Midi can never come close to Synthetic Music and Synth isn't close to as good as real. But with enough skill you can make both sound truely amazing to anyone who doesn't have an ear for music"

Comparing GM with "synthetic music" is like comparing an application with a computer.

I awoke in a fever. The bedclothes were all soaked in sweat.
She said "You've been having a nightmare and it's not over yet"
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 00:39
http://www.e-officedirect.com/FLStudio/English/frames.html

I was impressed by the demo of this product.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 05:05
[href]http://www.e-officedirect.com/FLStudio/English/frames.html
[/href]

I've found what I needed from FLStudio. Fruity Loops seems to be exactly what I need. It's fairly easy and it fits the budget that I need.($149 ),lifetime free updates, and it seems that it's a reliable product.

I'll probebly get a chance to order monday, so stop me quick!(If you can find something better )

CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 16:46
I thought you were wanting to buy a keyborad, are you just wanting music editting software?
CTP
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 18:39
Yea, i should've been more clear. At first I wanted keyboard, but with software I can get a wider range of sounds.(Although, learning in instrument is better, it's more time consuming.)

So what do you think of FruityLoops?
http://www.fruityloops.com/

CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2003 04:32
haven't use it yet. I do own cakewalk. My game music is normally midi. I play it into the computer then use cakewalk to edit it around. but the olny reason I use cakewalk and not something else is that I've had it since they came out with it, not that it's better then anything else forsay. I find it alot easier to play the music and then edit it rather then tring to compose it on the computer, old school I suppose.

CTP
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2003 04:41
Yea, I spent a good time composing(to bad demoes don't let you save ) with FL, and I found it fairly easy. It's pretty nice and it fits the budget. I'll probebly order first thing Mon. (Too late today, and I don't know if they take orders Sun.)

Btw, I play clarinet and guitar.(I'm not all digital )

Grim_Reaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 07:15
Quote: "creative labs have a new one now, should checkout thier website - you combine it with an Audigy Platinum Ex and you really have yourself an extremely powerful music studio."

wha????? sry man but the Audigy Platinum is not a studio-level audio card. Its a consumer level audio card. In fact, the SBLive! is more recomended for music production then the Audigy, as it is compatible with more of the professional grade software samplers and sequencers. But either one of those cards have very high latency issues when trying to handle big mixes. If you want a professional audio card for music production you will have to look somewhere besides Creative or any other Direct-Sound audio card manufacturer. I recomend any Delta series card by M-Audio.

As for which keyboard to buy, it really depends on what type of music you want to write. The cheapest synth that I could recomend is the Alesis QS 6.1 ...If you do some tweaking on that thing you can get some pretty realistic performances out of it. Usually I try to stay away from synthesizers and strictly use Software Samplers. The main sampler I use is GigaStudio 160(http://www.nemesysmusic.com)...It is, in my opinion, much better then any synthesizer because it can be upgraded, and the samples out for it are much more realistic then any synth that i've heard. In fact, it's used by professional film/game composers such as Hans Zimmer and Bill Brown. But, however, keep in mind that if you do get a version of GigaStudio sometime, do NOT buy an Audigy Platinum because it is not compatible with GS. You will have to buy a GSIF(GigaSampler InterFace) compatible audio card for it(again, anything by M-Audio, Aardvark, MOTU, Frontier, Echo, Marian, and a few other proffessional level audio card manufacturers.) SBLive! will work with it but its very limited. Oh, and another sampler that I can recomend is Native Instruments' Kontakt. It can import Gigasamples and the like, but its nowhere near as fast and reliable as GigaStudio is.

Just a few recomendations, Good luck to ya

Aaron

http://www.grcompositions.cjb.net
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 18:51
I say Fruity Loops 4 Producer Edition for people new to PC synthesizer music. I also use Project 5, which is a cakewalk product.

To edit and clean and to add effects i suggest Sound Forge 6, and a package like the Wave's Renisannce Collection, which is audio editing plugins.

As for a Sound card, i recomend Motu Sound cards, but not every one has $500 for a Sound card in there pocket.

--Eric

P.S. Have fun in Synthesized Music Creation.

P.P.S If anyone was wondering, i was gone cause i just Got Sonar 3, enough said.

A Dream is a Dream unless it is Real
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I play the keyboard a bit. I want a Roland V-Synth at the moment but it's about £2000. Fruityloops is probably a good idea, the demo's that come with it are great. I couldn't get it to work with MIDI though, so it's best to just use a PC.

Pincho.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 23:44
Yes, Fruity Loops does seem the best option, and I'll consider ordering it today.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 14:30:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 14:30:41