Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / My weapon trail demo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Was working on an effect for my game and finally made some progress, am still developing it but basically it uses a welded plane to create a sword trail effect, it goes slow right now but I just have to change some settings to make it go faster. Thinking about releasing the source if enough people are interested, even though I don't really like to share code I feel is innovative.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2010 08:42
Quote: "even though I don't really like to share code I feel is innovative."

Isn't that the only time you should release code?

Looking at your demo, it looks like the trail follows the blade which is pretty strange, it would be better to simply position the current pair of verts at the blade then drop them after a set amount of time, that way if the player is moving then the trails won't strangely follow them.

Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol you're probably right it's just like a feeling I have almost like the program is my baby or something and I guard it likes it's top secret info or something. I'll release the source when I get the bugs out of it. And right now as soon as the sword loops to frame 0, the verts reset to the beginning position of the sword, just something I gotta change. It's basically doing what you have suggested, but very slowly, and the trail does not recede into the blade at the end of the cycle yet, thats the very next step.
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2010 08:58 Edited at: 4th Nov 2010 08:58
Here's an update where it follows through. Now just gotta make the speed adjustable

Attachments

Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's another update that looks really nice

Attachments

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
I watched the last demo. It looks cool but the trail is blinking, especially at the beginning of the movement. As if the beginning of the drawing is not always in the same place, or as if it doesn't redraw fast enough. When the sword finishes the movement and the trail collapses into the sword, then it's smooth. I'd be interested what that trail is made of.
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah it definitely does have some kinks in it I have to work out. The trail is a plane made in 3ds max with 4 segments, then I loaded it into my program, and the sword has two limbs called "trail points" that are linked to the swords animation and they tell the trail where to attach, then I just save all of the animation positions in an array, and cycle through them based on the frame, so the second set of verts inherits the movement from the first set, and so on and so forth.
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay I know what you mean by the blinking, and I'm working on it. It's because the position of the verts gets screwed up for some reason after it plays once. Watch it while just starting the program and its smooth, but then after the first cycle it starts doing that.
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's a little better, use the shift and enter keys to rotate the sword.

Attachments

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, it's much better. Maybe it would look even better if it were more transparent?
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, it's starting to look really nice, check it out, sorry about so many downloads. And as soon as I finish I'm going to release a tutorial on how to do this effect.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 16:31:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 16:31:13