Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Beginner - Extremely long build times

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2010 02:07
Hi guys

A few years ago I did some programming with DBPro and have decided to get back into it with Dark GDK.

I am running Vista with plenty of Ram and a good processor, so why does it take upwards of 30 seconds to build the example code (with the spinning spheres)?

Cheers
Sam
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Give us some code so we can test it. I have never seen such a long build time, and I've made some pretty complicated programs. The only thing I can think of is that you have something in the background that is sucking up processor cycles. Open Task Manager and look at the processor load. At rest, it should be a very low value like 4%. Compile your code and see what the % goes to. You may also have an anti-virus problem, so check that as well.

The fastest code is the code never written.
scd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2010 00:02
It's good to know its not a common problem with GDK at least.

I'm literally compiling the 3D game example code:

The linking and embedding manifest steps take 30 seconds between them, but processor load is low during the entire compile. Antivirus is closed.

Testing other code: all programs including DarkGDK.h take ages, but other VC++ programs are fine.
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
I did that example when I first started using GDK. It compiled at a normal rate (as I recall). I would have noticed even a 15sec compile time.
What VC++ version are you using?
Did you pull up Task Manager to see what your processor load is?

The fastest code is the code never written.
scd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2010 09:52
Alright don't know what has changed but it's fine now. I'll put it down to Windows. Thanks for the help Hawkblood

Cheers
Sam

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-30 10:49:39
Your offset time is: 2024-06-30 10:49:39