Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Learning C++ AND DBPro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 05:00
I've got most the basics of DBpro down, and am well on my to game making. However, knowing that when (and if) I should go hardcore into Game Dev, learning C++ might be a wise idea. At this point, DBPro will take precedence, but I would like to learn some of the basics of C++ to be prepared later. I have a copy of Microsoft's VisualC++, and I was hoping someone could guide me to a site with good tutorials on how to use VisualC++, and the language it compiles.

Usermlsra - Causing Havoc with a Smile
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 06:11
I would suggest getting a couple of good books on the subject.
WROX PRESS makes good programming books IMO. I would stay away from anything "dummies" or "21 Days" as they tend to glean over the subject matter and not get too in-depth - IMO

Good Luck

-RUST-
Rwilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 06:14 Edited at: 4th Oct 2003 06:14
Unfortuanetly, I already have a book or two. MOST unfortuanetly, there both dummie or 21 days level books. sigh. You wouldn't happen to know of a free, website based one would you?

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 06:35
i'd search the book publisher sites and see if they have chat/boards, or just search google for topics of C++, I always find info this way. MSDN is a great source for MS programming products and I know WROX has a board - look around

-RUST-
Rwilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 06:46 Edited at: 4th Oct 2003 06:47
Thanks again, CattleRustler. And is it just me, or do I seem to get responses from you often? Creepy...

Just Jokin !

Regards,
Ryan Wilson

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 13:35
For $70, you can take an online class at gameinstitute.com
I took it, I think its about 4-5 weeks long.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 14:31 Edited at: 4th Oct 2003 14:31
I have Game Programming All in one by Premier Press. It's an impressive 900-odd page monolith on how to code games in C++

I'd recommend it.

c:/dos
c:/dos run
run dos run
Short_Timer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 14:32 Edited at: 4th Oct 2003 14:39
Hi Usermslra,

I got 2 words for ya!

Community College

p.s. It's priced right and underused in most states and they will encourage you through the rough spots and provide a lesson plan that ensures you get all the good stuff. Just an idea that worked for me.

(I know, more than 2 words!)
unjust
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 19:19 Edited at: 4th Oct 2003 19:21
There are good examples in C++, DirectX, OpenGL and other tutorials on this site.

http://gametutorials.com/
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
just read the stupid "learn in 21 days" book. i have ONE C++ book -- that one -- and it's the only one i ever read. it's really the only one i ever had to read. everything else i pretty much figured out or found out. though i'm really at a loss as to how to do windows programming. it seems very kludgy and complicated, and to tell you the truth i really have no need for it. i have VB as well

anyway i would recommend www.andypike.com... but it's currently down. so crap. umm wait till it comes back up again. the andy pike directx tutorials are thorough and will get you started in directx pretty well.

stop looking at me!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 18:08
@Usermlsra:

Yeah, creepy, I am following you around

LOL j/k

-RUST-
rob p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 18:31
you should check out juicystudio.com. They have great tutorials on almost every language and they're pretty in-depth.
Endorfin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 21:08
In visual C++ when you click on new project and select which kind of project you want to create, for a 3D game, what would you choose? The only kind I have ever gotten experience with is a Win32 Console Application.

~Safer
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 02:35
When you have the DirectX SDK installed it adds a DirectX application wizard to the list of new project types.
Rwilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 08:28
Ack! Silly me, got busy over the weekend and promptly forgot all about this thread. I apologize for not responding sooner!

David89: Thanks for the book title! I've added it to my list of things to remember, for future reference.

Short_Timer: Luckily, I was already planning on doing Community College before decidng what I do with my life, so no problems there!

Divide By Zero: The sites have been bookmarked. Note, the main reason I don't want to use the book I have is that it's almost 5 years old, and while the language can't have changed that much, I'm sure enough has that the book should be considered obselete.

Unjust,DrakeX,robp: Websites marked, and have begun light skimming of GameTutorial.com and juicystudio.com. Question, how long has andypike.com been down?

IanM: Where does one get the SDK? My usual method of upgrading my DirectX has been through Windows Update, and beyond knowing it's a MicroSquash product, thus somewhere within the confusing mess that is Microsoft.com, I have no idea where to look.

CattleRustler: Gosh-Darned, I knew you was following me! It's a good thing I'm addicted to caffeine in all forms , or I'd be horribly paranoid! (Or was that I AM horribly paranoid because of the caffeine? Never stopped long enough to tell!)

Regards.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 15:52 Edited at: 8th Oct 2003 15:52
You can get the SDK from here : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9216652F-51E0-402E-B7B5-FEB68D00F298&displaylang=en

It's 186MB though So you might want to hunt around and see if they offer a CD delivery service - I know that they used to
Tariq Hussein
Years of Service
User Offline
I learnt C++ by first learning how to write in C in a DOS console. Actually writing in C using a DOS console is probably the best way to learn C because it simplifies a lot of what you would do. After C *go into java*!! Java is probably the best way to teach someone about Object Orientated programming and you will enjoy it a lot. After that get into C++ and you will find it a lot easier to understand.

Learning DirectX and OpenGL is good but you need a lot of will power to get through the whole thing. Best thing I can tell you to do is to take it one tutorial at a time and try to understand it all. Using DarkBasic is great for 3D games while you are learning because it will give you the skills needed to write 3D applications.

Best way to learn C/C++ is by actually writing programs in it and I think you will be be interested in a little game programming library called Allegro. There are lots of programs written using it and there is plenty of opportunity to learn from it.

You can find Allegro at: www.allegro.cc

Hope that helps

When I turned 2 I got worried, in 1 year my age doubled!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 17:31
I have friends who are professional C++/Java programmers and one is even a professor at college and they all say when it comes to C++/Java knowing one gets you 90% of the other. If you have a choice they suggest to learn java first, then move on to C++.
Anyone here learning C#?

-RUST-
Rwilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 21:10
IanM: Good thing I have DSL then! Thanks for the link.

Tariq Hussein,CattleRustler: For now, I plan on just learning the basics of C++, that way when college rolls around and I sign up for classes, I'm not a total newb to it. Any other languages at this point in time are on my teritary list of things to learn. My poor brain can only learn so many things at once!

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 23:41
yeah, stick to C++ only, for now until you get acclimated - good luck, it is very tough from what most people say.
kick it's arse!

-RUST-
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2003 05:47
I've taken courses in C++ and Java, and they are really similar. Although java can be a bit easier since you don't really have to deal with pointers. I hate pointers!
Sonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2003 06:25
If in C++ traditionally you have pointers (and refs) and program to the Windows API and with .NET managed code you cannot directly access memory (so no pointers) can anyone explain what the real difference is between coding C++.NET and C#? Is C++ to become an obsolete language? (hard to imagine though it is)

"My ignorance amuses me..."
http://www.victory-road.co.uk
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 06:10
actually the difference mentioned above was regarding C++ vs JAVA. I cannot answer your question regarding C# vs C++. I don't see, however, C++ becoming obsolete as VB6 has not become obsolete given the extraordinary advances VB.NET has over it. The gains in C# over C++ are minimal by comparison.

-RUST-
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 14:50 Edited at: 12th Oct 2003 14:51
I don't think that C++ is going to disapear anytime soon, especially as a very recent trawl of employment agency web-sites still put C++ almost 15% ahead of Java on job offers (Dr Dobbs, Oct issue)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 03:52:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 03:52:33