Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Collision Issues and Sparky's

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2010 06:34
I'm more into problem solving than creating full games, so because of that I'm trying to implement a collision system with sliding collision etc on my own (without a plug-in).

Sliding collision is going well so now I am trying to allow the player to stand on top of objects. I seem to have run into a problem with GDK's collision.

Using this code to debug the collision:

The sphere is set to sphere collision.
This with the box set to polygon collision:

This is with the box set to box collision:

Am I missing something or is the only way to get reliable collision with a plug-in?

Cheers
Sam
scd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2010 23:17
Sorry I know asking about collision is a noob question and the post was long but I really just need an answer to a simple question:

How accurate is the built-in collision in GDK?

Cheers
Sam
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2010 13:58 Edited at: 21st Nov 2010 13:59
Quote: "implement a collision system with sliding collision etc on my own (without a plug-in)."

It seems you are not implementing your own collision system, you are using the dark basic collision system. Don't be afraid to use plugins, Sparkys collision is just a set of commands that work better than the in-built ones. I dont think Sparkys does the sliding collision for you, so you will still need to implement it if thats what you want to do.

scd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 09:05
Cheers Matty I understand what you are saying - it would be stupid to handicap myself by not using the help out there. I have decided to adapt my code to Sparky's.

But is dark basic's collision really that broken?
Like so broken that it gives blatantly wrong collision results?
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
I find it better when doing any collision using pure DB, just use the ray-collision stuff. You have to do several checks to get an accurate system, but it works fine. I use Sparky's and I like it.

The fastest code is the code never written.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 14:08:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 14:08:56