Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Printing text on the game screen and adding quest's

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi i got a question how do i add text to the screen ???

and also how to add a quest to a upcoming rpg what must i do the logisics because i dont undestand it to make some quest ???

Just Starting Programer
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Have you done any of the tutorials? I would recommend doing those before even thinking of starting an RPG.

Text can be put to the screen with dbText()

As far as quest, the simplest type of quest is one where you would need to get an object then return it to whoever gave yo the quest. So first you would need to create an inventory system. Then after you create your inventory system, you would create a function to check whether the character has obtained that particular item, then if that was true you would mark that quest as complete and allow the character to turn it in.
StillCOol ProgramerXP
Years of Service
User Offline
Thx For the fast reply but i have did the tutorials but how to make a inventory i now i ask alot but just only the mechanismen to understand what ot do

Just Starting Programer
StillCOol ProgramerXP
Years of Service
User Offline
i did the tut's

but whats the mech of a inventory

if(dbBKey())
{
//what must be in this part ???
}
srry for crappy english i come from belgium :-(

Just Starting Programer
Pilz X Schizo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2010 22:42
Asking how to do an inventory is a rather difficult thing to explain without knowing how you want it to work and many other details. The most basic inventory system would consist of an array and having it store some sort of record of the item(s) in it. You may want to start with something that is more simple so you can get an idea of certin concepts that will be required to create an rpg.

Another idea may be to create a completly seperate test program that you can mess around with to figure out how you want to make your inventory system. Maybe some sort of array/record handling program that can give you a grasp of handling an inventory.

Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with the above poster. An inventory system is not something you can just tell someone how to program. You have to just try and figure it out yourself, thats what programming is all about, if you don't want to figure anything out for yourself I recommend using RPG Maker, or some kind of pre built engine where everything is already set up. Programming a game yourself entails hours and hours of hard work, and I doubt you'll find someone that is just going to give you a tailor made inventory system after they spent like 6 hours putting it together. And even if they did, it doesn't sound like you'd really understand the concept of it at this point. Not trying to be rude at all but its a more advanced topic that just putting a couple of lines in your code.
You deal with things like Item ID's, multidimensional arrays, Classes, etc which are pretty advanced in C++, you won't be dealing with anything in DarkGDK at this point.
StillCOol ProgramerXP
Years of Service
User Offline
Oké i understand it i will spent more time learning DarkGDK and then i wil try it again ^^ thx for the info

Just Starting Programer
StillCOol ProgramerXP
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry but i got another question how do i put a icon in my game window i got the icon but dont now how i do it???

Just Starting Programer
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2010 07:06 Edited at: 19th Nov 2010 07:07
Disregard
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2010 07:06 Edited at: 19th Nov 2010 07:07
Here's a friendly tip and a link to the info all in one
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=visual+studio+c%2B%2B+icon