Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Texture for Sky Sphere in DBP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2010 16:09
Hi, I've made a sky sphere (not box) and it uses 1 texture for the whole thing. Could anybody point me to anywhere I can get/buy a texture for the sky. Ideally I'd like day one side, night the other... as it rotates... very slowly, to simulate a day.

Thanks for the help

If first of all you don't succeed, it's probably not worth doing.
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2010 22:38
something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkOvU-1roOc this is a day and night cycle moving clouds etc this is using RTSkyBox from extends well worth it very easy to implement only took me a couple minutes to do the adjustments i needed to get the look i want

======================================

GreenDixy Productions http://GreenDixy.Com
StephenRussell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2010 17:27
Only thing is... I need a sky sphere, not box. I'm just looking for a texture for it as I've already coded the system to do it

If first of all you don't succeed, it's probably not worth doing.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2010 17:35
The easiest way to simulate this using skyspheres would be to make one sphere with the 'day' texture and another slightly larger with the night texture, then just fade the day sphere in and out using "set alphamapping on" and "set object transparency" on the 'day' sphere.

I would suggest using something with no sun so you can put your own sun/moon into the game.

Where to get the texture is more tricky as most sky textures have a sun and clouds...

I've attached a really quick example of the what the two images should be like.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 10:55
I recreated the Extends sky thing using DBP (As I had Win7 and at the time, Extends didn't run very well with it).

For the Sky, I had 3 spheres, one sky blue, One grey and one black with white dots (for stars). The blue was the smallest, the grey next and then the night one was the largest (Only about 100 units between each one, just enough so they don't clip each other). Then I'd fade them using alpha to change from fine, to gloomy to night or whatever I wished.

The next clever bit is another smaller sphere inside, textured with the cloud texture. This one gets rotated everso slowly on the y axis to simulate the clouds blowing in the sky.

You can fade the clouds in or out depending on how you want the weather to be.

You could also use multiple layers of clouds for different effects, or for different cloud types. There are plenty of seamless cloud textures available on the internet to use.

I'll try and post some code later for this if I can find it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:16:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:16:03