Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Newbie Question: loading FPS Creator Assets

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've just started learning DarkGDK (I am also taking lessons in C++), and it occurred to me that I have a bunch of models from FPS creator already sitting there on my hard drive. I'm not exactly sure how it's all organized, though. It looks like the .x models are in "meshbank", and I'm not sure where the corresponding texture files are at all.

Has anyone else figured out how to load models for FPS creator in DarkGDK?

Also, anyone have any good FPS tutorials to recommend for Dark GDK? I found a few on Youtube, though they're mostly pretty short 1 or 2-parters.
MPQC
Years of Service
User Offline
There's really not many tutorials floating around, at least that I can see. But, if you go to your TGC folder for DarkGDK, check out the documentation. It's fantastic, and it's really all I've used. It'll take you awhile to navigate it good (find which functions do what), but once you get the hang of it you're good to go.

As for FPS Creator, I don't have it, so I can't really say much on that. :/
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "how to load models for FPS creator in DarkGDK?"

dbLoadObject.

Seriously, it's that simple. I don't use FPSC but I have a few FPSC model packs which load fine into a Dark GDK program once you figure out what's in which directory.

The texture files should be in a "texturebank" directory, mainly in DDS format. Also look out for "fpe" files (don't know which directory, maybe the same as the model). These are text files which tell you the name of the texture file which should be used for the model, and also the start and end frames of the animation sequences of the model.

The X files are usually human-readable text files as well, and they may contain also a texture file name. If you search for the second occurrence of "texturefilename" within the X file, that is the texture that the model will attempt to auto-load. If the texture is in the same directory as the model, then with dbLoadObject you get both model and texture. If it doesn't succeed for some reason, you can still load the texture as an image and then use dbTextureObject.

It's worth to cross-check the texture file name in the X object and in the "fpe" file, because I have found in the model packs a few models which had wrong texture names in the X file but the "fpe" was correct. Since the X file is also text format, you can even correct it, to make the texture auto-load.
MadTinkerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Well it looks like, for now, I can get by with dbMakeObjectBox + dbTextureObject for each kind of floor and wall and then dbInstanceObject for each position I want them to be.

Of course, I don't want the game to look like Wolfenstein 3D / Minecraft forever, so I'll need to figure out how to load the FPS Creator models eventually (though come to think of it, it would be neat to throw in a blocky primitive-looking level just for the heck of it: maybe for a System Shock-style retro-cyberspace or something). Probably want/need to copy the ones I want to my actual project folder...
MadTinkerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Mireben! That's what I needed to know. (You replied as I was typing my other reply and being a new user, they won't let me edit replies yet.)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-30 10:19:29
Your offset time is: 2024-06-30 10:19:29