Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Am I missing something here?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 08:59
Hey, so I can get DarkLIGHTS working just fine, but I would like to use extends and some shaders so lightmaps aren't really what I want. Anyway I couldn't get any lights in extends to show up and I'm finding out I can't even get basic standard lights to show up. Can someone look at this code and tell my why the cube is fully lit? I'd much appreciate it.

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 10:34 Edited at: 24th Nov 2010 10:46
Firstly, the box doesn't have enough vertices/faces/triangles/Polys (or whatever u wanna call them) for the lighting to work.

IanM's Matrix1 plugin set has an improved make object plain command which allows you to set the number of columns and rows used to create the plain.

Secondly, You need to hide light 0 (The default scene light), or edit its settings so it's not so overpowering.

Here is my fixed code, altho you need to walk the camera backwards to see the effect.

Hope that helps

>Edit<
To correct snippet, and to add picture

Attachments

Login to view attachments
AmbulanceGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 22:02
Oh okay thanks a lot. I couldn't find a good lighting tutorial so I've just been trying to get this going by my self, with my only other experience in Game Maker lol thanks for the help though.
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2010 00:52
I'd like to see a good lighting tut as well. All I know has been scavenged from various threads on here through the years; but I'm certainly no expert.

AmbulanceGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2010 10:07
It is weird that there is no lighting tutorial. I would love to buy Hands On vol. 2 since it says there is a chapter on lighting, only I don't have 50 dollars to throw down at the moment so for now I'm at the mercy of getting lucky, or the forums.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:26:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:26:45