Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Homeworld 3

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2003 05:23 Edited at: 5th Oct 2003 05:53
[ edited ]

Except it's called Homeworld 2, not Homeworld 3! Homeworld Cataclysm doesn't count, apparently.

[ / edited ]

I've been reading the previews and reviews of Homeworld 2. I remember when Homeworld 1 arrived, and I was blown away by how gorgeous it was. There was a captivating plot (for a game), and you really got involved in the game -- until it just became to difficult.

From what I read, the makers haven't learned their lessons, and have used piled pressure on the player until now his brain is boiling from level 1.

Do you think this is a good idea? I was disappointed with Homeworld 1 already because I found it far too difficult. It was a case where a bunch of programmers who knew the game on their five fingers assumed the player were just as good, from frame 1.

Personally, I think that's a mistake in game-making. There should be a grace period while the player learns the game, and then you slowly ratch up the pressure to keep the game interesting. The Homeworld series, gorgeous as the games are, fail as games in my opinion.

They're just too difficult. The designers have failed to consider the end user. There's a lesson there to be learned.

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2003 06:51 Edited at: 5th Oct 2003 06:51
Yes, although I havn't read or heard anything of HW2, making games too difficult is something hard to justify.

What's hard for one person is easy for another sometimes. Usually makers have a set of difficulty levels for the game, is there not a choice in HW2?

If not, it was poorly designed and meant for people with patience. The designers probebly thought along the lines of,"Well, if it's too easy it'll get boring, so let's turn the knob to max!"

If there is, and it's still too hard, well you're just gonna have to use cheat codes.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 14:35:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 14:35:54