Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / rich possible feature for the forum.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 5th Oct 2003 15:29
hi rich,

i was browsing a website and a thought came into my head. how about turning help for dbc/dbpro into a point system.

when someone replies back with a solution the person posting the help can "give" points to the person and have a points system on how useful the code/help was.

just a thought. might encourage more people to help other people, to boost their help points

lagmasteruk - lagmaster.net is alive! r.nash@ntlworld.com
specs: new specs: amd xp 2000+, 512mb ram, ati radeon 9000 pro dvi, 180gb total hdd capasity, custom built
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2003 15:51
I was thinking of something similar, a bit like Experts Exchange?

c:/dos
c:/dos run
run dos run
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2003 17:09
Kudos, in other words. Except you can only give out + Kudos.

Got a knack for finding secrets??? Jingot Racing --- A new brand of Racing --- Only from Nightwatch Studios
"hey, it's tomorrow" --- Hamish
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 5th Oct 2003 17:19
yeah like experts-exchange, only smaller just for tgc products

specs: new specs: amd xp 2000+, 512mb ram, ati radeon 9000 pro dvi, 180gb total hdd capasity, custom built
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2003 17:51
Hey, wow, I just saw a sticky thread at the top of this board that talks about this very subject, whoda thunk?

DDR is the best form of exercise money can buy.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2003 21:35
Rich has already expressed his views on a Kudos System, which went something kinda like he would consider it ... the catch being that only the Moderators / Selectected individuals of the community would be allowed to give out such Kudos or Ratings else it would become nothing more than a popularity contest regardless of the help actually given.

Although this sort of system works well over at GFXArtist.com the level of maturity here as was show over at RGT, just isn't ready for such a system without ALOT of ground rules ... so many that quite frankly it would make it a pointless upgrade to the every joe user.

lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 5th Oct 2003 22:01
ok i agree, not yet. maybe when the users on the forum grow up

i can see how the system can be abused quite easily. by someone now accepting an answer or being stingy on points to people

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2003 22:08
I would really want to have kudos, and a list of all the people that gave you negative or good kudos. If they seem to be abusing the system, they can be reported to Rich, who will drain the kudos from the abuser and replace the ones taken away from the abuser.

Dark Basic Pro has arived! I can feel the power!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2003 22:48
i wouldn't want to put any more work onto Rich than nessesary atm, even with him working fulltime on the website - he is still struggling on his own, and I doubt the website is getting enough revenue to actually warrent hiring a fulltime Mod/Admin for such things.

as for the forum users growing up, I would say we would have to worry about the fact that this is a majoritively Teen forum ... however actually the problem seems to stem more from the older and more experienced users being very petty.
infact the GFXArtist.com way of doing it is pretty cool, because you all vote on who should become a Elite member ... and only the Elite members are allowed to hand out ratings to other members.

i wouldn't be against people voting a new Elite member every month that would be cool, but for a real system that says that someone is 10points better than another person no doubt down to pure prefferences would suck.

think also members should have atleast 1year in forum before they're allowed to be voted upon, i kinda dislike how newbies can come in act like cock of the walk - no matter how good they are, they're still not seasoned in the eyes of the community because they've not put the time and effort into being here when needed.
perhaps another stipulation could be actually have released something, DLL - Game - Application - Tech Demo - etc... something people can see and use.

UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 00:52
a rating system would be pretty pointless.
the point of a rating system is that if people help other people
then those people will give them points and increase their
kudos. but what is the 'point' in having kudos points?

Having kudos points wont encourage people to help you, only helping them will.
People wont givew you anymore respect.
Are you ever seriosly gonna decide wether to flame someone or
not by how many stars they have on their profile

the artist formally known as darkfluff
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 01:26
no. but it would show x user is very helpful.

i mean the db community should help each other, rarther than start flame wars which end up to nothing.

lagmasteruk - [url]www.lagmaster.net[/url] is alive! r.nash@ntlworld.com

Dark Snippet Pro V9 is out!!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 02:45
should really the operative word though ... a better word would've been 'used to'

the atmosphere has shifted from the helpful to just insulting those who ask for help. its kinda sad.

lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 02:53
yeah. but still it's a good feature for rich to consider.

lagmasteruk - [url]www.lagmaster.net[/url] is alive! r.nash@ntlworld.com

Dark Snippet Pro V9 is out!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 14:41:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 14:41:30