Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Flying Game Collision

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Im making a 3d flying game for my uni module, and have the plane moving about like i want it. But it keeps going through the terrain whereas i want it to stop when it hits the terrain.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Abz
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2010 01:08
Are you with jj882?(see his post)

You can handle the collision yourself with the aid of Sparky's Collision, very good collision plug-in.

Or you could use a physics plug-in which will do a little more for you, collision, gravity, wheels, forces etc.
There is QuickODE and Fulcrum Physics(see sig), there are more but I'm not sure how complete they are.

Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Use Sparky's collision, it comes with examples to make it very easy to do this type of collision.

One tip, since you are doing a flying game, you will want to remove the gravity variable, and take out any parts of the example code that affect the position on the Y axis.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=74762&b=5
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2010 17:14
Quote: "One tip, since you are doing a flying game, you will want to remove the gravity variable, and take out any parts of the example code that affect the position on the Y axis."

It depends on how realistic you want it to look, you may find that you need a gravity variable and then a lift variable simulating the wings affect when the plane is in motion, faster = more lift.

The variables get more and more as you want more realistic flight, air resistance, engine thrust etc. It all depends on how important the handling of the plane is, it may be that its not a high priority.

Abza1989
Years of Service
User Offline
ok thats the first time ive heard of Sparkys Collision and as this is my first time on Dark GDK with the C++ Commpiler how would i go about addind this library in? im a real rookie at this..

Thanks for your ideas for thrust and lift.. because what i have to do is have a take off stage and i was thinking in lines of Speed has to be greater than a certain amount for lift to be possible.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 14:09:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 14:09:04