Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Legal issues with selling digital files online?

Author
User Banned
Posted: 9th Dec 2010 04:21
Hi all,

My question to everyone selling their music as mp3s, wavs, .ogg files and so forth to be used in online (small) flash games (not AAA titles) is this: have you ever encountered any legal issues of selling those mp3s from state to state (eg. violating state laws of any sort)?

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 00:33
use ogg! its smaller than mp3 and just as good or better sound quality..... and as far as i know... no licence fee's

Development & Editting
xilith117
Years of Service
User Offline
no, as far as i know there is no "state law" that prevents the selling of mp3s (assuming that they are free, if they cost money and you are transmitting them then the author of the file is not rreceiving payment and that IS illegal. ) hope i helped, Cheers

Jeff Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2011 13:48
There are, however, certain state sales tax laws that apply to selling digital goods delivered online (including music). They usually kick in if the state where you are based taxes such sales and a sale is made to someone in your state, based upon the payment information. I think only about a third of the states tax such goods.
Festaddamms
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2011 14:33
Never that I can recall

[url=www.muzik2murder2.org][/url]

Kamakazi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2011 08:06
I agree...read the small print usually tied in with a "License Agreement", "Terms", or "Disclaimer" links. These can normally be found at the bottom of any music site. I, unfortunately, thought I was putting royalty free music in the game I'm working on (which was posted on this forum in another topic). The music was found on a CD at a local yard sale marked "Free Music." When I got home I added it to the music collection on my PC. I have had the music on my PC for a few months now...but Windows Media Player just recently, in the past few days, found information on the tracks my game used. Upon vising where the music came from, I found out that a license fee had to be purchased. As such, and since I use to create music as a hobby, I know and respect musicians for their work and ended up removing the game from the forum. It was an honest mistake but one that should and could have been avoided. In some cases, it is almost better to stick with MIDI files. So, do yourself a favor and read all the fine print before using any music in a video game creation. At least I'm being honest and trying to do the right thing...right?
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 06:46
There seems to be hitches with everything that you get for "free". Im no lawyer; not even close. The reality is that free is usually a word that really means "We want something from you but were not going to tell you outright." People usually dont put stuff out for free. With anything you use read the fine print.

wind27382
Years of Service
User Offline
OK i sell digital services online. I actually have a business license, tax id number and taking business classes right now. basically if you will be making money than you will need to report it to government depending on how much you make.

you honestly don't have to add sales tax and such. sell for the price you want, the problem is that if you made good money the government will retro charge you for your sales.

like i worked a job and the government charged me taxes, out of each pay check. so when you sell your files you still owe the government a small part of that. they only go after it if you made decent money.

wind
wind27382
Years of Service
User Offline
and if the files belongs to someone else than you don't own it and if they hear about it they have a right to take a fee from you.

so either make all assets yourself

buy royalty free assets

or hire someone to make the assets for you.

no Google for cool assets. ( will gt you in trouble down to long run)

wind

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:48:23
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:48:23