Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I hate the Clickteam

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 02:27 Edited at: 6th Oct 2003 02:29
I hate them they made Jamagic sound so good I bought and it is crap If you want to see for yourself and download the demo go here http://www.clickteam.com you will see why I hate them I mean that was $100 I could have spent otherwise

"Nintendo GameCube is the best" and " I am nearing the day I become a Jedi" - The Dark Padawan
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 02:37
They offer a trial. Your fault for not trying before buying.

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 02:56
heh you can always resort to buying div games arena for only £2

from what i've seen of jamagic it's a good product that is good for small time game development.

lagmasteruk - [url]www.lagmaster.net[/url] is alive! r.nash@ntlworld.com

Dark Snippet Pro V9 is out!!
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
I bet that Francois Lionet regrets going OO.

The more you see, the more you know.
The more you know, the more you see.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 06:41 Edited at: 6th Oct 2003 06:43
I downloaded the demo. Seemed like it might have been okay back in... 97? 98, maybe? But for any kind of today game development, no way. It's like a (poorly made) predecessor to DB Classic.

But really, why in the world spend $100 when you can download a demo?!?! Buying something-- that expensive, especially-- just based on the advertizing hype is a little... crazy.

Edit--

I just looked through the demo again. It does have some features Classic dosen't... take OpenGL support... but really, it's connected to a crappy engine, which seems like more than a bit of a waste...

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 12:04
I don't hate clickteam, but I still wouldn't touch Jamagic. I mean, it sounded crappy many years ago. What would you expect now?

I am a proud owner of "the games factory" . So I have little experience of clickteam. Actually, I wish TGC would be even a little more like them. The support was very nice, and I got email replies very fast and so on (personally from Francois). My friend even got a new cd when his cd went corrupt! And we bought the TGC from a local store, and didn't order it from anywhere. Now that's what I call good service.

lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 14:20
your failing to note. lee bamber made example games for the games factory

clickteam used to be a part of europress. europress released the stuff.

lagmasteruk - [url]www.lagmaster.net[/url] is alive! r.nash@ntlworld.com

Dark Snippet Pro V9 is out!!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 15:53
Pah, STOS put me right off using any language developed by a Frenchman .

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 16:57
Van - Heh.. I still reckon DB is the STOS/AMOS of the PC world

Cheers,

Rich

The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.
Your brain's just like any other appliance: it works better if you plug it in...
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 17:30
AMOS, maybe - STOS, NOOOO!!!! - not on my shift!

STOS sucked big time, it stunk like no other language - it still used line numbers for fsake!. GFA was always the the best ST variation of Basic, as AMOS was for the Amiga . I remember flicking through Amiga mags looking at all the cool stuff you could do with AMOS, and how much better the syntax looked compared to STOS. I think Rich will remember, there was this tutorial series on ST Format, it had sprites and backgrounds from Prince of Persia, all done in GFA basic - that's when I properly fell in love with my Atari's and cast STOS and ST-Basic (Bleagh) aside forever and eventually bought the Sprite Works add-on (best £5 spent anywhere, ever) - that gave me fullscreen, blitter, sountracker support, hardware sprites, sample playback, built-in tiled map engine, pallette switcher, copper backgrounds, sprite scaling and rotating, chip music support and a whole load of other stuff I can't remember .

Van-B
P.S. Did you know that 'Simple' was the artist on the STOSSER Diskzines?

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 18:08
I'm still more in the "vanilla STOS sucked, but expanded STOS could do anything" camp. Extensions like Misty and Missing Link were superb. Fullscreen, blitter, soundtracker support, hardware sprites, sample playback, built-in tiled map engine (fully and properly pre-calc'd!), pallette switcher, etc

Gotta agree with the line numbers though.

We released loads of STOS demos and games (we being me and various ST friends/contacts) and it was a great time. Maybe that's why I remember it so fondly. Although I still have STOS on this PC (via Steem) and coding in STOS on my Falcon was fantastic too.

GFA did rock though. So much I bought the PC version of it when I got my first PC. Never much use for games though

I remember (and have) all the STOSSER disk mags, heck Tony even sent me all the text from every issue to put on my web site. Didn't know Simple did the gfx though. Nice. Small world. Etc

Cheers,

Rich

The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.
Your brain's just like any other appliance: it works better if you plug it in...
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 01:32 Edited at: 7th Oct 2003 01:33
Yeah GFA-Basic was great. I first saw it running on a friend's compy and was really amazed. I mainly used Pascal on the ST where you had to take care of linking and libraries and stuff. But the GFA-Compiler just needed the source, 3 or 4 options to be set and go! Stunning. And so I bought it.
I still use an ST as a Midi-controller/converter on stage- since about 15 years. Although I don't know how many monitors were trashed during that time. But then there's eBay.

I awoke in a fever. The bedclothes were all soaked in sweat.
She said "You've been having a nightmare and it's not over yet"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 15:39:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 15:39:44